_THISROW.BEFORE workaround help

Hey guys. Iโ€™m looking for some help with expression.

I got two tables.

BULLETIN table - 13 columns, 1 row of random update information.
MODERATOR table 14 columns, 13 rows of different user info

Heresโ€™s my issue.

I have a drop-down column in my BULLETIN table called โ€œPOC Modโ€, which lists the key values of the Moderators in the MODERATOR sheet.

I created a workflow rule to send a phone notification when the Mod is changed in the โ€œPOC Modโ€ column

[_THISROW_BEFORE].[POC Mod] <> [_THISROW_AFTER].[POC Mod]

The notification is sent to the new Mod using [POC Mod].[Email] in the Notificationโ€™s โ€œToโ€ field
(The MODERATOR sheet has an email column)

However, I also want to send a notification to the old Mod, to let them know theyโ€™re off-duty. However, it seems there is no easy way to identify who the old mod is. (The equivalent of a_THISROW.BEFORE value i can use in the notificationโ€™s โ€œToโ€ field)

Does anyone have any ideas theyโ€™re willing to share on how I can circumvent this? Whatโ€™s the easiest way to identify who the old mod is here?

Solved Solved
1 28 7,520
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Email] is the solution.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

Add a virtual or normal column (name โ€œEmailโ€) with the formula [POC Mod].[Email]. Then you can use it like [_THISROW_BEFORE].[Email]. The reason for this is because you canโ€™t write the formula like [_THISROW_BEFORE].[POC Mod].[Email]

Sorry, I tried your suggestion and it didnโ€™t seem to work. So Iโ€™m confused by what you mean. Two questions.

1. Iโ€™m creating the Virtual column in the BULLETIN table, right?

2. How exactly do i use the virtual column as a [_THISROW.BEFORE] formula? I cant use it in the โ€œToโ€ field and it seems the virtual column itself uses the โ€œAFTERโ€ value when the change is made.

You could try:

LOOKUP(
  [_THISROW_BEFORE].[POC Mod],
  "MODERATOR",
  "row-key",
  "Email"
)

replacing row-key with the name of the key column of the MODERATOR table.

@Steve @Aleksi

This is the error i get, and part of the issue i was having before.

It seems i can use [_THISROW_BEFORE.] in regular expressions. Is this correct?

Ah, _THISROW_BEFORE canโ€™t be used in the To: address expression, it appears.

@Steve
Yes, this is the original problem that Iโ€™m trying to workaround. Any other ideas?

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

You may have to record the previous moderator email in the row to accommodate your goal. Create a new normal (not virtual) column for this and set its App formula to the expression:

LOOKUP(
  [_THISROW].[row-key],
  "BULLETIN",
  "row-key",
  "POC Email"
)

replacing row-key with the name of the key column for the BULLETIN table.

@Mic_L_Angelo Create that โ€œEmailโ€ column (it can be normal or virtual, both works) in your Bulletin table. Use that [POC Mod].[Email] deref app formula with that column. When you know the email address in a Bulletin record, you can read it into โ€œToโ€ field as [_THISROW_BEFORE].[Email].

@Steve @Aleksi Sorry folks bad news. Neither suggestion works form.

Dererf./Lookups donโ€™t work cuz the value updated at the action is enacted. Which means it sends the assigned and unassigned message to the same (new) person.

And i canโ€™t use the BEFORE column in the โ€œToโ€ field. I get an error. Any other suggestions?

I tested this with a sample app and it works. What is your email address so I can share that app to you?

Why not share with the community ?

Wellโ€ฆ itโ€™s just test app. Maybe I will clean it a little bit so it could be used as a sample. Though I can share that app to you as well if needed.

I was just interested in the expression used to reolve.

[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Email] is the solution.

@Aleksi Just a quick follow up. I havenโ€™t seen the link to the app yet. So if you sent it, do you mind sending it again?

@Mic_L_Angelo Just resent it

Apologies @Aleksi but i canโ€™t seem to get into the editor version of the app to see the workflow rule. Is it because itโ€™s shared? I successfully downloaded the app and can view itโ€™s data, but itโ€™s not clear how i can access the editor from here.

Any suggestions?

Sorryโ€ฆ my mistake. You should now have the access.

@Aleksi @Steve I got it to work, ([_THISROW_BEFORE].[Email] in the โ€œToโ€ field) many thanks!

But I must point out that the reason why I didnโ€™t come to this conclusion myself is that when i initially put this expression into the โ€œToโ€ field, I got an error message indicating that the _THISROW_BEFORE column doesnโ€™t exist. This dissuaded me from pursuing that solution further.

Aleksi, the app you shared with me gets the same error (see the attached image). However, when I test the rule, the notification gets sent as expected, and the error message disappears. So it seems to me that the error is related to the _THISROW_BEFORE columns not existing until the rule works once.

In any case, I likely would have resolved this issue myself had i not seen that error message. So maybe this is something the Appsheet team can look into? If my assumption is correct, then it seems I got the error message, well, in error. I could see many more people getting confused here.

Interestingโ€ฆ when I tested this, I didnโ€™t receive any error messages. We need to check this, for sure.

Cool, if you need anything from me, let me know.

FYI. I created another workflow rule with that expression and received that erroneous error message again. So this is not a one-off.

But if you save it again, it accepts that formula?

yep. i donโ€™t receive any errors from the app once i save it. I just get that error when in first put the expression in the โ€œToโ€ field

Itโ€™s possible then that I could see that error message as wellโ€ฆ I just never wait them

@Aleksi App doesn't give any error but in the To field [_THISROW_BEFORE] is not working.

Please start a new topic for help with this.

Newly created virtual columns are not recognized by appsheet until the app is saved. Also, Appsheet will not recognize a newly added column in googlesheet until it is regenerated. These "unrecognized" columns can lead to such "unable to find column" errors

Top Labels in this Space