Text separation

I need to separate a string of scanned text, in several columns.
Specifically, the barcode of the identity document.
When scanning it, it is presented in the following format:

Procedure N ° @ Surname @ Names @ Sex @ DNI @ Exemplary @ Date Nac @ Date Emission

and I want to separate it in the corresponding fields. Find() only finds me the first match. Is there an expression that fulfills this function?
Thank you very much already

0 29 2,771
29 REPLIES 29

@TalkNet_TechnoStore
You can try this expression:

SPLIT([_THISROW].[ColumnName],"@")

That expression results in “null”, but gave me the idea to do the following:

Index (List (SUBSTITUTE ([DNI], “@”, “,”)), 1)
Index (List (SUBSTITUTE ([DNI], “@”, “,”)), 2) …

That is, I replace the @ with the comma and create a list of values, and in each field I point to the index in the list.

The expression assistant takes the expression as valid, but it does not work. Even the field disappears in the form.

Some help?

@TalkNet_TechnoStore
You don’t need to substitute the “@” char with comma and use the LIST expression either. SPLIT expression will already convert it into a list and you can read the values with INDEX.

INDEX(SPLIT([_THISROW].[ColumnName],"@"),1)

should work. I have tested and it works as expected:

This is the scanned text
00355196384@POU@ALFREDO FABIAN@M@17825572@A@25/08/1967@30/03/2015@200

and this is the expression that I put in App Formula
INDEX(SPLIT([_THISROW].[DNI],"@"),4)

The result is null and it does not show me the form fields, what can I be doing wrong? The type of field is Text

@TalkNet_TechnoStore
Can you try with setting your column type as LongText and try with removing the [_THISROW]. and use only [DNI]

It worked! Taking out [_THISROW]
Thank you

I have another problem
If I point to the date of birth:
INDEX (SPLIT ([DNI], “@”), 😎
It correctly returns the date in text mode. If I want to calculate the age I do:
HOUR (TODAY () - DATE (INDEX (SPLIT ([DNI], “@”), 8)) / (365.24 * 24))
The problem is that DATE (INDEX (SPLIT ([DNI], “@”), 8))
It returns empty.
I understand that DATE () converts text to date format.
What am I doing wrong?

The textual date must be in a form AppSheet recognizes. A date like 25/08/1967 (DD/MM/YYYY) likely needs to be expressed as 08/25/1967 (MM/DD/YYYY).

It is true!
Is there any way to convert it or should I cut the texts (LEFT, RIGHT, MID) or INDEX() and sort them?

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I’m not aware of a way to convert automatically.

It works now!
This is how the expression used to obtain the date of birth in date format:

Date (INDEX (SPLIT (IF (COUNT (SPLIT ([ScanDNI], “@”)) <10,
INDEX (SPLIT ([ScanDNI], “@”), 7),
INDEX (SPLIT ([ScanDNI], “@”), 8)), “/”), 2) & “/” & INDEX (SPLIT (IF (COUNT (SPLIT ([ScanDNI], “@”)) <10,
INDEX (SPLIT ([ScanDNI], “@”), 8)), “/”), 1) & “/” & INDEX (SPLIT (IF (COUNT (SPLIT ([ScanDNI], “@”)) <10,
INDEX (SPLIT ([ScanDNI], “@”), 8)), “/”), 3))

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

BTW, performing a SPLIT() repeatedly on the same data to extract individual fields is incredibly inefficient. In your particular use case, the inefficiency likely won’t affect you at all, but it’s generally a good idea to make efficient design a habit and pursue it whether strictly needed it not.

It would be more efficient to perform the SPLIT() once, capture the results in a column, and use INDEX() against that column where you need the individual values.

@Steve
Thank you very much for the advice, I did it according to your instructions.
Now I have a new string, and the delimiter is the line feed, instead of the @.
What would ASCII be?
I tried Alt 10 and Alt 13, but it does not work.
The string is the following:

DNI

M
NESTOR RODRIGO
ABAN VARGAS
19-10-1990
BOLIVIA
BLANCO ENCALADA

VILLA CELINA
6-4-2016
4-2-2020
A.2.1,B.1
A -

Try:

SPLIT([DNI], "
")

Note the separator is a newline, typed as "-Enter-".

It does not work. Any other suggestions?

Hmm… It works fine for me. Please cut and paste the exact expression you used.

This is the string:

DNI
M
NESTOR RODRIGO
ABAN VARGAS
19-10-1990
BOLIVIA
BLANCO ENCALADA

VILLA CELINA
6-4-2016
4-2-2020
A.2.1,B.1
A -

The expression, the formula.

Sorry

INDEX(SPLIT([ScanDNI],"
"),4)

NESTOR RODRIGO is what that expression gives me.

I’d be happy to look at you app if you’re interested, though it probably wouldn’t be until tomorrow. To give me access, from the app editor, go to Users in the left-side navigation, select the Users tab, enter my email (sc2758g@gmail.com), set Add as co-authors? to ON, and click Add user + send invite. You will remove my access from the same location.

@Steve I copied the expressions in another app, and when I set the ScanDNI column as Long Text, it does not allow me to activate the “Scannable” option and it shows the following error:

I don’t know why that would happen. @Aleksi, do you?

Thank you very much @Steve, but I managed to make it work.
ScanDNI was as a Text type and that caused the line break to be lost, I configured it as Long Text and it worked perfectly.

I also have a split question.
I have a prescription
[refraction] = -1.00 -0.75 x 155
I want to split into 3 fields and store in 3 different rows
row 1 = -1.00
row 2 = -0.75
row 3 = 155

I tried INDEX(SPLIT([refraction],"
"),2)

It didn’t work. It didn’t split it.

That’s because your text is not delimited by a newline, it is delimited by spaces, and an ‘x’. You should try @Bahbus’s expression. But this should work as well:

val1= INDEX( SPLIT( [refraction] , " " ) , 1 )
val2= INDEX( SPLIT( [refraction] , " " ) , 2 )
val3= INDEX( SPLIT( [refraction] , " " ) , 4 )

Take notice that the 3rd value is the 4th index, because the ‘x’ character is the 3rd when splitting by a space. This of course assumes that your [refraction] text will always come in like:

“val1 val2 x val3”

Thank you. It worked. However, in my refraction, I will sometimes have a + instead of -.
For example,
+5.00 -2.00 x 180 converts to +5.50 -1.75 x 180
I need to split them to do a calculation and put them back together. Is there any way I can keep the + during the calculation? Right now, I split them up. I calculate them and then concatenate them back together. However, the only way I can put back the +5.50 is by converting it into a text and adding a “+” in front of it.

No. And you might need to get rid of it to do any math calculations, use NUMBER() or DECIMAL() to convert text into numbers.

Sounds like you’ve got it.

Top Labels in this Space