The incredible disappearing text

Moโ€™ reports, moโ€™ problems. I have a report that uses a few ifs statements. Most of the time, for some reason, the last bit doesnโ€™t appear in the resulting report at all, not sure why. Hereโ€™s the template for the whole section:

Assessment Status:

Last Assessment: <<ifs([Current Level]=1,[Level 1 Assessment].[date],[Current Level]=2,[Level 2 Assessment].[date],[Current Level]=3,[Level 3 Assessment].[date])>>

Next Assessment Due: <<ifs

(and([Current Level]=1,isblank([Last Assessment Date])),[Program Start Date]+30,

and([Current Level]=2,isblank([Last Assessment Date])),[L1 Assessment Linked].[date]+62,

and([Current Level]=3,isblank([Last Assessment Date])),[L2 Assessment Linked].[date]+62,

True,

[Last Assessment Date]+62

)>>

Date Scheduled: <<[Actual Scheduled Date]>> <<if: OR([Actual Scheduled Date]<[Last Assessment Date],[Actual Scheduled Date]<today())>>

Please schedule a new assessment date in the TTS system or contact your areaโ€™s Trainer.<<endif>>

The last section that starts with โ€œDate Scheduledโ€ is sometimes missing from the report entirely, and it should at least say โ€œDate Scheduled: (whatever the date is)โ€. Do I need an endifs in there somewhere? There is an endif at the very end, it just wonโ€™t show up on my post. I havenโ€™t found any documentation on using ifs in a template. Other than that, it works a dream. Thanks!

Solved Solved
0 6 172
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

My understanding (which may be incomplete) is that template tags may not be split across lines; i.e., the tagโ€™s << and >> must be on the same line. That makes long expressions ugly and difficult to read, but I believe it is a requirement.

Assessment Status:

Last Assessment: <<ifs([Current Level]=1,[Level 1 Assessment].[date],[Current Level]=2,[Level 2 Assessment].[date],[Current Level]=3,[Level 3 Assessment].[date])>>

Next Assessment Due: <<ifs(and([Current Level]=1,isblank([Last Assessment Date])),[Program Start Date]+30, and([Current Level]=2,isblank([Last Assessment Date])),[L1 Assessment Linked].[date]+62, and([Current Level]=3,isblank([Last Assessment Date])),[L2 Assessment Linked].[date]+62, True, [Last Assessment Date]+62)>>

Date Scheduled: <<[Actual Scheduled Date]>> <<if: OR([Actual Scheduled Date]<[Last Assessment Date],[Actual Scheduled Date]<today())>>

Please schedule a new assessment date in the TTS system or contact your areaโ€™s Trainer.<<endif>>

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

It is likely syntax that is causing a problem - e.g. a misplaced โ€œ)โ€ or some such thing.

First, I would make sure that ALL of your pasted text is appearing in the post. You can do this by using the โ€œblockโ€ feature (for lack of knowing what its really called). This is just 3 back quotes before the text and 3 backquotes after the text. Back quote is the one under the โ€œ~โ€ (tilda) symbol in the upper left hand side of the keyboard

This is blocked text

It keeps proper formatting and characters such as <<a variable>>

See the image to see what it looks like before posting!

This is the image below
3X_c_7_c760b74da5e2394fc936b61a7667e0e031814eb6.png

I have taken a deep look and assuming everything in the post is as in the template except for the <<EndIf>> not appearing at the end, I see nothing wrong with the syntax.

I donโ€™t know for sure if IFS() is supported but expression are and I would think the parser would parse the IFS() function like any other function. You would not need an <<End If>> for the IFS().

Based on this comment I take that sometimes you DO get the last message? If so then I would take a close look at the differences between those cases that do work versus those that donโ€™t. Maybe some data value is tripping it up?

Also to rule out any kind of parser problem, I would insert a space before and after the โ€œ<โ€ (less than) or โ€œ>โ€ (greater than) symbols. My thought is maybe the parser is incorrectly reading them. A stretch I know but stranger things have happened.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

My understanding (which may be incomplete) is that template tags may not be split across lines; i.e., the tagโ€™s << and >> must be on the same line. That makes long expressions ugly and difficult to read, but I believe it is a requirement.

Assessment Status:

Next Assessment Due: <<ifs(and([Current Level]=1,isblank([Last Assessment Date])),[Program Start Date]+30, and([Current Level]=2,isblank([Last Assessment Date])),[L1 Assessment Linked].[date]+62, and([Current Level]=3,isblank([Last Assessment Date])),[L2 Assessment Linked].[date]+62, True, [Last Assessment Date]+62)>>

Very good to know!

And just to be clear, by โ€œsame lineโ€ it is meant a line with no line breaks in the form of return, new lines, etc. Line wrapping, which many editors will do, IS okay? Is that right?

Correct.

If the โ€œline-wrappingโ€ is merely done on-screen rather than scrolling, yes, thatโ€™s fine. If you can toggle line-wrap off and you then need to scroll to the side to see rest of the line, youโ€™re golden.

Steveโ€™s advice about eliminating unnecessary carriage returns from the code was the solution.

Top Labels in this Space