Training - Only allow individuals trained on documents to train others on the same documents

Hi everyone, Iโ€™m trying to work on one of the more complicated expressions Iโ€™ve ever attempted in Appsheet. The purpose is to look for a table of training records where a single cell contains a enumlist of document records spread across multiple rows (for example one row can have โ€˜Daveโ€™ trained on document list โ€˜Forklift Inspection, Truck Inspectionโ€™, while another row can have โ€˜Steveโ€™ trained on just โ€˜Forklift Inspectionโ€™. This information is in the โ€˜Trainingrefโ€™ table.

I want to then take that information, and cross reference it with the โ€˜trainerโ€™ column in the active spreadsheet (the โ€˜Trainingโ€™ table), to ensure that for Steve to train on โ€˜Forklift Inspectionโ€™, he himself already has a training record on said document, and no documents where he/she are not trained on will appear. The โ€˜Trainingโ€™ table is a parent table, and the โ€˜Trainingrefโ€™ table is a child table that is set to REF / is a part of. All training documentation referenced by these tables are in a master document table (QMS Slice Super), where the document names are stored as unique, single text entries (not grouped lists), e.g โ€˜Forklift Inspectionโ€™ has its own key record, and Truck Inspectionโ€™ its own etc etc.

To try achieve this objectives Iโ€™ve started with a Select function that looks in one table slice, and cross references it with a condition from another table, with yet another condition from a third table.The current code gives me no errors, however it is not performing the function as Iโ€™ve definitely made some mistakes with the references (or lack thereof). The code is as follows:

SELECT(QMS Slice Super[Documentrev], AND(CONTAINS([Trainers], Trainingref[Trainee]), CONTAINS(Trainingref[Documentrev], QMS[Documentrev])))

This is my screencap -

Iโ€™m not sure what the best course of action is here, and any help would be greatly appreciated. You guys are great!

Thanks,
D

0 10 285
10 REPLIES 10

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Iโ€™ve spent 10 minutes trying to understand what youโ€™re trying to, but cannot. Can you try simplifying your problem description? With fewer implementation details and more โ€œwhat are you trying to accomplishโ€, in plain language.

Hi Steve, not sure how I can simplify it further, but Iโ€™ll give it a shot.

I have a Training form, with drop down menus for employee names (trainers) and document names. This training form goes into a child record for employee names (not trainers, but trainees). My aim is to make the drop down menu for document names only show documents which (edit: Trainers) have been trained on.

Hope this makes more sense, if anyone is able to help out Iโ€™m sure you will be able to! Sorry if I made my question more convoluted than it needed to be.

So a trainee would choose a document, then be presented with a list of people who have already been trained on that document?

Sorry, only picked up the typo now, itโ€™s a dropdown of documents the โ€˜Trainerโ€™ has been trained on, not the trainee. Fixed it in the comment above. That one totally slipped by me last night, you must have been thinking wtf lol.

Iโ€™m still finding your situation confusing, I have not been able to clearly and fully grasp what you want, and Iโ€™m not interested in fighting to understand. Youโ€™ll need to find help from someone else. Perhaps consider an AppSheet partner.

I know you help out a lot here Steve, so thanks for taking the time to try. I wasnโ€™t even aware of the partner programโ€ฆ thanks for the link

Please provide screenshots of the column lists for the following tables:

• The table that uniquely identifies each possible training document.

• The table that identifies the potential trainers.

• The table that identifies the potential trainees.

Please also identify the table and column that identifies which documents for which a given trainer is qualified to train on.

The โ€˜trainerโ€™ would choose a document, then be presented with a list of documents that only they themselves have been trained on.

Hereโ€™s those screenshots you asked about Steve, wasnโ€™t sure how to generate the entire column to save, is this good enough?

Documents

Trainers

Trainees

What is the purpose/goal of the trainer choosing a document?

The document they choose (documentrev column) is what identifies what document they were trained on. Since there are hundreds of documents to choose from, the enumlist of documentrevโ€™s will then show up in the child โ€˜trainingrefโ€™ table with the relevant trainee name.

Top Labels in this Space