Urgent first, Completed last, the rest according to the Due Date in between

Hello,

In a Task Management app, I have an Inline deck view with all the Tasks of a Project.
They have three Properties, by which I would like to arrange them, but I canโ€™t really get what I want:

1. They have a Priority, by which they can be Urgent and if they are, they have to be ON TOP
(so first rule of arrangement - ascending by Priority)

2. They have a Due Date, by which I arrange them ascending so the closer the Due Date, the Closer they are to THE TOP.
(so second rule of arrangement - ascending by Due Date)

3. They have a Progress - Not started, Half completed and Completed. (itโ€™s not a progress column). And here, I just want to have all the Completed tasks show at THE END.
(so I donโ€™t know how to do that from the options I have (know so far) in the View).

The first two are done. Itโ€™s getting the Completed Tasks show at THE END (bottom), even if their Due Date is closer to Today then an Half Completed Task isโ€ฆthat is the tricky part.

Can I do this directly from the setup of the View?
Or is there a workaround needed?
And if so, any ideas?

Thank you,
Sorin

Solved Solved
0 4 373
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, Grouping wonโ€™t help. I tried it too but it doesnโ€™t give the right result for the exact reason you guessed as well.

What I did was closer to what @Steve said - I made a Virtual Column Progress 2, that separates Active Tasks (Not started and Half Completed Tasks) from Inactive Tasks (completed tasks).
Then I first Sorted by this Column - Progress 2, which puts all Completed Tasks at the Bottom.
Then I Sorted by Priority which puts all Urgent Tasks at the Top.
And then I sorted by Due Date which sorts the three groups (which are not grouped) by Due Date.

And it does exactly what I needed
Thank you

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I donโ€™t believe you can do it with view configuration alone. Youโ€™re going to need to add another (virtual?) column. Perhaps a Completed? column, then sort on that first, before priority.

The trick is to put the progress grouping before the dates and sort descending.

I think that will do what you want:

• Youโ€™ll have a group of Urgent oneโ€™s one top
  • In that Urgent group, youโ€™ll have things broken into groups of Not started/Half started, completed
  • In each of those sub-groups youโ€™ll then have things sorted by the due date.

I thinkโ€ฆ

Only thing here is that the not started and half started groups will each be grouped separately so even though something in the Half-started group might have a close due date than something in the not-started - the not started group will come first. I thinkโ€ฆ

Yes, Grouping wonโ€™t help. I tried it too but it doesnโ€™t give the right result for the exact reason you guessed as well.

What I did was closer to what @Steve said - I made a Virtual Column Progress 2, that separates Active Tasks (Not started and Half Completed Tasks) from Inactive Tasks (completed tasks).
Then I first Sorted by this Column - Progress 2, which puts all Completed Tasks at the Bottom.
Then I Sorted by Priority which puts all Urgent Tasks at the Top.
And then I sorted by Due Date which sorts the three groups (which are not grouped) by Due Date.

And it does exactly what I needed
Thank you

My miss-type, I was actually meaning sorting the whole time I was saying grouping - but Iโ€™m glad you got it figured out!

Top Labels in this Space