Use AppSheet with at school with students (under 18)

Has anyone ever had students (kids under 18) use / build using AppSheet?

I've been building an app to allow students to record their workouts. However, when I tried enabling AppSheet for our organization's student domain/unit, I saw this:Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 10.42.32 AM.png

Very keen to hear from other educators in this forum.

Solved Solved
0 1 348
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I used AppSheet within a Robotics club for high-school aged kids.  We did have a couple of kids accessing AppSheet who were under 18 but that was years ago and I think they had individual accounts where they didn't explicitly specify their age.

GDPR rules have rolled out since then.  I also believe the EU rules are more stringent concerning children.  I am in the US.

Bottom line is that you will not be able to legally circumvent those restrictions due to the possibility of apps in AppSheet having GPS tracking capabilities.

If more educators are interested in using AppSheet in an educational setting, then I would encourage you to collectively appeal to AppSheet to provide a version of the platform that does not include GPS (or any other similar) tracking functions.  Then it would be GDPR compliant and safe to use for learning.

It is sad that due to a few "rotten apples" in the world, that the rest of have to endure these type of restrictions.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

I used AppSheet within a Robotics club for high-school aged kids.  We did have a couple of kids accessing AppSheet who were under 18 but that was years ago and I think they had individual accounts where they didn't explicitly specify their age.

GDPR rules have rolled out since then.  I also believe the EU rules are more stringent concerning children.  I am in the US.

Bottom line is that you will not be able to legally circumvent those restrictions due to the possibility of apps in AppSheet having GPS tracking capabilities.

If more educators are interested in using AppSheet in an educational setting, then I would encourage you to collectively appeal to AppSheet to provide a version of the platform that does not include GPS (or any other similar) tracking functions.  Then it would be GDPR compliant and safe to use for learning.

It is sad that due to a few "rotten apples" in the world, that the rest of have to endure these type of restrictions.

Top Labels in this Space