Value in Parent Table baed on Related Record - Only Working on Record Creation

Hello AppSheet Community,

I have a parent table โ€˜incidentsโ€™ that has a one:many relationship with the child table โ€˜actions.โ€™ The incidents table has a status field. The actions table has a actType field. I want the status field to be โ€œClosedโ€ if any related actType field has the value โ€œyesโ€ and โ€œOpenโ€ otherwise.

I use this formula for the status field in the incidents table:
IF(IN(โ€œYesโ€,[Related actions][actType]),โ€œClosedโ€,โ€œOpenโ€)

If I create a closing action WHILE Iโ€™m creating a new incident this formula seems to work. However, if I create a new incident, save it, and then later add a closing action then the status column does not update.

• Andrew
0 4 167
4 REPLIES 4

Iโ€™m guessing the [Status] column is a real column? As a real column, it will only update when the record it is in is updated. If you make it a Virtual Column, it will update upon every sync.

Yes, I have it as a real column. That makes sense. I think I do want to save that information as a real column too. Is there anyway to have a real column auto-update whenever I add a new action?

There is. It is a bit more advanced (but not too much).

You simply need to trigger an edit (any edit) in a record in order to force all real column expressions to recalculate.

One way (of many), is to create a hidden column in the Incidents table, of DateTime type. Create an action (action A) that sets the value of this column to UTCNOW().

You need to run this action A upon making any edits to Action records, or creating new ones.

One way to do this is to create another action (action B) for the Actions table, of type โ€œexecute action on set of rowsโ€ and point it to your Incidents table, the parent Incident record (as a list), and action A.

Then you set action B as the Form-Saved Behavior for the actions_Form UX view.

Interesting. Thanks Marc_Dillon!

Top Labels in this Space