Virtual Yes/No column realtime

In my app, users can enter new meetings.
By default, a mandatory start time can be entered and optional end time.
Users complain that they do not see how they can skip the end time.
It is there, so they feel compelled to enter 'none' or something like that if the do not want to enter an end time. (Yes.....I know.....they should simply do not touch the input box for the end time, but that does not seem to be logical for them)

So.......I have introduced a virtual column with the name "v|Do You Want an End Time" and I fill that by default with 'No'. 
Below that, the box with the end time should appear, only when the Yes/No box is set to "Yes".

It works great........as long as I enter fixed values into the Yes/No box.
See the results in the screenshots.
If  "No" then no end time box appears. If "Yes", there is a box for the end time.

RensD_1-1710604208833.png      RensD_2-1710604227088.png

Big question now......how do I make the virtual column show the yes/no options so that I can dynamically show the end time box?

Solved Solved
0 5 76
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You need to use a normal column. Virtual column needs an app formula and that's why the user is not able to select anything.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

You need to use a normal column. Virtual column needs an app formula and that's why the user is not able to select anything.

Yeah.......I suspected something like that.
I tried the app formula is several ways, but it only had one outcome every time.

Well....so be it.
I introduced a 'normal' column and off cause that works just fine.

RensD_1-1710668758720.pngRensD_0-1710668612063.png

Initial value is "No", so all works just fine now.
Maybe the use of a virtual column in this way should be a new feature? ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for thinking along.

The meaning of virtual column is different, it's meant for calculations. Though we could have an another column type that is not a virtual or normal.. like it would not save anything to your data source.

Yes.
That would be very useful.
In my situation, I need the information in the column to make a decision, (show the next column as an input field or suppress the input field) but there is no need to store that information in de source data.

How would we be able to make a R&D suggestion?

There are already feature requests for this behavior.

Top Labels in this Space