What if a label is not necessary in a database? Where is the ID?

I am using AppSheet database.

I have a table People and a table Roles. I created a table called PeopleRoles so that I can associate people with roles.

PeopleRoles has two reference fields (obviously to People and Roles). However, I also have a Description field, marked as a label, and unused; it's there because a label is required for each row, and a reference cannot be a row.

QUESTIONS:

(1) Is it possible to have a row without a label? Or, what would you do in this case?

(2) Where is the ID field? Is it possible to "see" it somehow? (This is me being curious)

Thanks

Solved Solved
0 4 346
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can certainly set a reference column as the label, why do you think you can't?

Why do you have to add a "dummy" column in for the label? Just set one of the other columns as the label.

I don't know about the "Row ID" from the new appsheet databases. It's a new feature, there should be a thread about it, you should probably post this question/feedback in there.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

If you don't need a label for anything, just set it to whatever, don't worry about it.

"ID field"? What are you referring to? Each table has to have a key column set, and you can show that however you want.

And what do you mean by "a reference cannot be a row"?

I meant "A reference cannot be a label" -- sorry. I had kids around me screaming about going trick and treating...

Thing about HAVING to have a label, is that I need to add a dummy field I don't need so that I have a field which works as a label. Maybe I should make a feature request, of using reference fields as labels...

For ID fields, I was confused because looking at the database, app itself, I see these columns:

mercmobily_0-1667215836052.png

But in the database itself, I don't see them at all -- and I couldn't figure out a way to make it:

mercmobily_1-1667215966207.png

So... is there a way to show them in the database section? It's a little strange, that they are hidden in the DB screen, and visible in the app screen...

You can certainly set a reference column as the label, why do you think you can't?

Why do you have to add a "dummy" column in for the label? Just set one of the other columns as the label.

I don't know about the "Row ID" from the new appsheet databases. It's a new feature, there should be a thread about it, you should probably post this question/feedback in there.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

AppSheet Databases is in preview and is not suitable for use in any important app.

Please report AppSheet Database problems here:

Introducing new AppSheet database feature in publi... - Google Cloud Community

Top Labels in this Space