What is the proper way to copy dates from one table to another?

Newbee here.. 

I am trying to copy a date from one table to another using: 

select(TGJobs_2020[Job_DateOpen],[Job_No]=[_THISROW].[Job_No])

However, Appsheet reports that the result of this instruction is a list. and not the expected type "Date" 

Show More
Error: The expression is valid but its result type 'List' is not one of the expected types: DateTime

I already tried to set columns on both tables to 1) Date, 2)Datetime and keep getting the same error. 

However, If I change the target column to Type Text the problem goes away... 

Question: 

What is the proper way to copy dates from one table to another? 

Solved Solved
0 2 142
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SELECT statement returns a list of values, even when there is only one value in the list it is still a list. 
Enclose your existing SELECT expression within ANY():

ANY( SELECT( … ))

Also,

If “Job_No” is the key column of your Jobs table, the you just need a simple dereference expression instead:

[Job_No].[Job_DateOpen]

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SELECT statement returns a list of values, even when there is only one value in the list it is still a list. 
Enclose your existing SELECT expression within ANY():

ANY( SELECT( … ))

Also,

If “Job_No” is the key column of your Jobs table, the you just need a simple dereference expression instead:

[Job_No].[Job_DateOpen]

Josepth_Seddik. 

T H A N K     Y O U      VERY MUCH !!!  ....   👍

PS: Will look into dereference expressions...  (so far I have been doing all via select - somewhat of a pain - but forced me to standardize the names and name format of all the columns...  As it turned out this makes things a LOT easier for newbees in Appsheet  ). 

Top Labels in this Space