When I'm adding a new row, I have a column th...

When Iโ€™m adding a new row, I have a column that is hidden using showif =FALSE.

How can I get this column to show when Iโ€™m editing a row?

0 26 587
26 REPLIES 26

In your options you need to turn off show if universally.

It already is off.

Absolutely nothing.

My app is basically a work rota/diary. If I do any over time, I want to be able to add this to my days work, hence why I wanted the field to only be visible when I come to edit a row and not when Iโ€™m adding a new row.

I have a row titled โ€˜commentsโ€™ which is always visible so I might just have to admit defeat and use that for any overtime I do.

@Simon_Blackburn If you post back with the column name of the one you want to show/hide, and the column name of the key column, we can hook you up with the exact formula to use

Okay. You probably want to be using Editable_If rather than Show_If.

What is the column you want hidden? Is it just the overtime amount?

Key column is [Start Date] and the column I want showing/hiding is [Extra Work].

+Steve Coile I want the column [Extra Work] to be hidden when Iโ€™m adding a new entry but itโ€™s currently visible. If I decide to do any extra work, I want to be able to edit this entry on another day and see the column [Extra Work] so I can then add any overtime I do.

I donโ€™t know if that makes sense.

You can see in this image the column EXTRA WORK is visible, I want it hidden.

When I edit an existing entry, the column EXTRA WORK is visible which is fine. I just want it hidden when Iโ€™m creating a new entry.

@Simon_Blackburn What is the name of the KEY column for this table?

+Steve Coile [Start Date]

@Simon_Blackburn Iโ€™m not sure if this is exactly what you had in mind but I have a slight workaround. You can use the Show_if that you were intending to use. For the Show_if statement, just put ISNOTBLANK([Column]), replacing column with one of the columns that would presumably be blank when you create a new row. However, this column would show once there is data.

Well then if show if itโ€™s false, then yes it will never be seen while editingโ€ฆ (Even during the addโ€ฆ) There is some trickery with thisโ€ฆ

@Simon_Blackburn Also, make sure that the column that you want hidden is not a required field; would be slightly counterproductive

+Jacob Lin Perfect. Thank you so much.

Also thanks to +Steve Coile & @Grant_Stead

+Steve Coile We got sniped so hard by +Jacob Lin!

Also, Teamwork is the bestest!

25 comments to get this sorted, could be a new record!

Community hard at work :]

So, youโ€™ll have to hack thisโ€ฆ But basically the key doesnโ€™t exist in the data set until the record is saved. So you would run a check to see if the key exists. If it does, itโ€™s edit mode. If it doesnโ€™t itโ€™s a fresh add. NOT(IN([KeyColumn],TableName[KeyColumn])).

So you want the column hidden when editing a new row, but not when editing an existing row? A way Iโ€™ve found to do that is to add a (hidden, non-editable) column of type Number and an App formula of =([_this] + 1). The value will increment automatically each time the row is edited. When editing as new, the value will be 1; when editing as existing, the value will be greater than 1. You can use this columnโ€™s value in your Show_If expression.

+Steve Coile I want the column hidden when adding a new row but visible when editing an existing row.

@Simon_Blackburn Okay. Either @Grant_Steadโ€™s or my way will allow you to do that.

Iโ€™ve very much a novice when it comes to understand these but Iโ€™ll definitely give it a go.

Iโ€™ve tried both and I still canโ€™t get it to do what I want.

@Simon_Blackburn Whatโ€™s it doing now?

Top Labels in this Space