When adding a table it displays no information.

So, I added a new table to my app. It is a different worksheet from the same workbook as two of my other tables. However, no matter how many times I add the table there is still no data held in it. When clicking the preview data button I see only the column names and no information, even though that worksheet already has rows filled out in it. I am sure this is a simple problem but it is not the first time that I have ran into it.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Solved Solved
0 6 131
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Every table must have a key column. Every row of that table must have a key column value. A row in the data source without a key column value is ignored by AppSheet and will not appear in your app.

What is a key? - AppSheet Help

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Every table must have a key column. Every row of that table must have a key column value. A row in the data source without a key column value is ignored by AppSheet and will not appear in your app.

What is a key? - AppSheet Help

Ok, I have my key defined in a virtual column with the UNIQUEID() function. I assume that this means any rows created outside of the app won't have a key defined. Since this table is going to be edited by other applications should I set an automation to look for new row creation and add the key? Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks again!

Your virtual column with the UNIQUEID() function will not work. The virtual column's value will be recomputed every time the app syncs. Each time it's recomputed, the UNIQUEID() value will change.

The key column must be given to each row when the row is added. It is not possible for a bot to give a key column value to an existing row: as far as AppSheet is concerned, a row without a key column value doesn't exist.

What other applications will edit the table? Other AppSheet apps? If not AppSheet apps, you're going to have to deal with some substantial complexity making everything work well.

I am using Zapier to fetch info from emails and add them to the sheet. But I am open to other ideas on how to do this. In the end, I want to log and display info from my email in the app.

Using Zapier is fine. You may consider using the AppSheet API to add the rows:

Use the AppSheet API - AppSheet Help

Thanks for your help. I ended up teaching myself a little bit of Google app scripts and made a script that works for me. But you were definitely right, it took a while to get Zapier to work nicely with AppSheet. Especially, when I don't want to buy the paid version of Zapier for a small personal project.

Top Labels in this Space