Why is this formula 40 times slower than another one

This all started because I noticed I had a table that was taking 27+ secs to sync. First I assumed it was because the subtable Jobs had 15000+ rows. So I did some digging and now I canโ€™t work out why one formula seems to be REALLY inefficent.

I have two virtual column formulas that both reference a list column called [Related Jobs]. This relates to a subtable called jobs. The App takes just 0.3 secs to calculate [Related Jobs] and work out which Jobs records related to each record in the parent table (Site). I also have this formula called [Last Collection Date] that takes 0.4secs to find the latest timestamp [WeightTS] a Date/Time column.

DATE(
MAX(Select([Related Jobs][WeightTS],AND(
	ISNOTBLANK([Weight]),
	[Weight]>0
)))
)

Finally I have this formula called [Last Collection Weight]. Which it basically the same as the one above. Yet this takes 20.8secs to complete. Since its essentially the above formula just wrapped in an ANY(Select(โ€ฆ function to get the [Weight] column instead.

ANY(Select([Related Jobs][Weight],[WeightTS]=
	ISNOTBLANK([Weight]),
	[Weight]>0
)))
))

I know that I could make the second column reference the first instead of running essentially the same formula. I also know from @Steve that MAXROW() might be a better option. But Iโ€™d be interested in why this second formula is Sooooo inefficent. When just from looking at it youโ€™d assume it would take twice as long as the first formula, not 40+ times longer.

Iโ€™ve checked out performance manager for a few different users (PC & Phones) and this forumla is always a huge amount slower than the first one. So i donโ€™t think its related to anything like delta-sync

Solved Solved
4 5 160
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

The MAX() expression visits every row in [Related Jobs] (N). The wrapping SELECT() performs that entire MAX() expression for each of every row in [Related Jobs] (N^2). Thatโ€™s a big increase. Can you make the MAX() expression its own VC?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

My only guess is that the DateTime comparison is expensive.

I supose I could test TEXT([WeightTS]) but it would be equally odd if this actually made a difference

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

The MAX() expression visits every row in [Related Jobs] (N). The wrapping SELECT() performs that entire MAX() expression for each of every row in [Related Jobs] (N^2). Thatโ€™s a big increase. Can you make the MAX() expression its own VC?

Ignore my earlier comment, I guess I was caught in the same misunderstanding thought loop that you were (or just morning brain ).

SELECT() + SELECT() would be about twice as long.
SELECT( SELECT() ) is exponentially longer.

If you have 15k records, then you are executing a SELECT() query 15k^2 times, or 225 million times. And that doesnโ€™t even take into account the number of records in the Table that youโ€™re SELECT()'ing on.

Basically what Steve said, just said in another way.

Awesome repsonses @Marc_Dillon & @Steve. Iโ€™ve done as recomended and added a third virtual column to reduce the duplication. Here are the formulas & sync times (in case this helps anyone else)

New - [Last Collection] = 0.33sec

ISNOTBLANK([Weight]),
	[Weight]>0
)))

Updated - [Last Collection Date] = 0.01sec

DATE([Last Collection])

Updated - [Last Collection Weight] = 0.3sec

ANY(Select([Related Jobs][Weight],[WeightTS]=[Last Collection]))
Top Labels in this Space