Workflow rule not firing using child table

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the following, I have a workflow rule that has worked in previous apps without any problems, now however I am struggling to get this to work.

I have two tables, Requisitions (parent) and Items (child), you can add many Items to a requisition and Items has a โ€œIs Part Ofโ€ relationship to the requisitions table.

I have an Updates Only workflow set up to run when the Requisitions table is updated however I am struggling to get this to work, it wont even show up as failed in the log analyser.

I have another 2 apps where this exact workflow runs, column names, keys and relationships are all the same.

Has something changed on the back end so that this is no longer possible but retained that feature for older apps?

The only way I can get this to fire is if I set it to โ€œAdds Onlyโ€, however this does not include the following information in the email.

<<Start: [Related Items]>>
<<[Description]>>
<<[Quantity]>>
<<[Comments]>>
<>

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Solved Solved
0 9 551
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

What happens when you try to update the parent record when all child records are saved? Does it work then?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

PS under <<[Comments]>> it does say End but it doesnt show up for some reason!

For me it sounds that you are trying to trigger a Workflow rule when the parent and child records are added (at the same time). When you are doing this, the parent record is saved first because of the Parent ID value and then child records. Because the parent record is saved first, this will trigger the Workflow without your child records because they are not saved yet. Please check this article about itโ€ฆ

Thanks Aleksi, that sounds correct, however I did initially set the workflow to run when the Parent table was Updated, as the child records were saved after the parent record this would count as an update to the parent table.

Because of the โ€œIs Part Ofโ€ relationship between the two it would fire the workflow.

This has, and is currently working on two other apps and I cannot seem to see any difference between the older apps and this new one.

Do you know of any changes made that could have affected this?

Thanks for the reply.

I followed the instruction this article outlines. New form submissionsโ€™ email notification work fine. But the issue I am having is with updates to submissions which we need to notify people about.

The few solutions I have tired have resulted in no email notification for updates, and when email notification for updates work, I get two email notifications for new submissions (system thinks its a new submission and an update). Any idea how to make both new submissions and updates work?

What happens when you try to update the parent record when all child records are saved? Does it work then?

Thanks Aleksi, that seems to work.

As a workaround I have added an action to trigger when the form is saved, this changes the data in a hidden columns, this counts as an update and allows the workflow to fire!

Thanks again!

@bowker678 Can you please help me in this regard. I have a Master Table and Child Table and the below is my case.

After adding rows in Child Table and Parent Table, I have to update a particular column "QCPassed" (in child table) to "YES". If all rows from the child Table, for a particular Parent ID, "QCPassed" to "YES", then only the workflow has to be initiated.

Any idea please.

John

Yes, Event action is one way to be sure that all child records are added as well.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

@John_Henry_Jose wrote:

If all rows from the child Table, for a particular Parent ID, "QCPassed" to "YES"

ISBLANK([Related Child Tables][QCPassed] - LIST("YES"))
Top Labels in this Space