Writing Expressions

tvinci

Hi AppSheet,

I know how to articulate what Iโ€™m thinking in English, but writing the expression is the tricky part.

So as you see the entries are grouped by โ€œOrderโ€ because multiple entries can have the same โ€œOrderโ€ key.

So how do I specify when all entries of the same โ€œOrderโ€ key all have the โ€œHow many samples collected?โ€ column populated?

Thanks!

Solved Solved
0 9 243
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Try:

ISBLANK(
  FILTER(
    "delineatedLocationsV6",
    AND(
      ([_THISROW].[Order] = [Order]),
      ISBLANK([How many sample collected?])
    )
  )
)
  1. FILTER("delineatedLocationsV6", ...) gathers all rows from the delineatedLocationsV6 table that match the given criteria (...; see (2)).

2. AND(..., ...) matches only if both criteria (..., ...; see (3) and (4)) are true.

3. ([_THISROW].[Order] = [Order]) matches only rows of delineatedLocationsV6 with an Orders column value ([Orders]) that matches that of the current row of Route Finished ([_THISROW].[Order]).

4. ISBLANK([How many sample collected?]) matches only rows of delineatedLocationsV6 with a blank How many sample collected? column value.

5. ISBLANK(...) is true only if no rows of delineatedLocationsV6 have the same Order value as this Route Finished row and have a blank How many sample collected? column value.

See also:

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

If you havenโ€™t done so already, please read this article about how to use SELECT():

I think the proper use of SELECT() will solve your problem.

Thanks, so I retrieved the list. How do I check whether every single value in the list evaluates to true?

So Iโ€™m trying to make it so that if 0 items are in the list the expression will evaluate to true. If 0 items are in the list then 0 items have the โ€œHow many samples collected?โ€ column blank, so 0 items are unvisited. This still isnโ€™t working though.

Your use of COUNT() is good. I think, though, they you might need to adjust your strategy.

In your first post you wrote that you wanted to do the following:

So, I think you should count the number of records with the order key (that will be one SELECT() expression that is encased in a COUNT() expression) and count the number of records with the order key AND NOT(ISBLANK[How many samples collected?])). The second one would be another SELECT and COUNT combination. Then, if the two are equal to each other, I think your condition would be satisfied.

Thank you @Kirk_Masden!

Is this what you had in mind?

Thatโ€™s what I was thinking. Iโ€™m glad Steve came up with a good solution.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Try:

ISBLANK(
  FILTER(
    "delineatedLocationsV6",
    AND(
      ([_THISROW].[Order] = [Order]),
      ISBLANK([How many sample collected?])
    )
  )
)
  1. FILTER("delineatedLocationsV6", ...) gathers all rows from the delineatedLocationsV6 table that match the given criteria (...; see (2)).

2. AND(..., ...) matches only if both criteria (..., ...; see (3) and (4)) are true.

3. ([_THISROW].[Order] = [Order]) matches only rows of delineatedLocationsV6 with an Orders column value ([Orders]) that matches that of the current row of Route Finished ([_THISROW].[Order]).

4. ISBLANK([How many sample collected?]) matches only rows of delineatedLocationsV6 with a blank How many sample collected? column value.

5. ISBLANK(...) is true only if no rows of delineatedLocationsV6 have the same Order value as this Route Finished row and have a blank How many sample collected? column value.

See also:

Thank you so much @Steve! I greatly appreciate it

Should I add a โ€œRoute Finishedโ€ column to my delineatedLocationsV6 table? Iโ€™m going to try that. I made tiny changes to the formula you gave me because when I copy and pasted it it gave me errors. The result was that every single Route Name was crossed out. Iโ€™m going to try to see what happens when I add a column.

What table is the Route Finished format rule attached to? And what column in that table ties that tableโ€™s rows to rows in delineatedLocationsV6?

Top Labels in this Space