adding multiple rows combing data from two tables

Hi

I need to create an action, bot or workflow which can populate a table combining data from two tables:

Table A: students    Table B: subjects

the common column between the two tables is Course

So I have 300 students divided into 6 courses, about 10 diferent subjects per course.

the result should be Table C: Marks   whith a total of 3000 new rows combining each student with his/her 10 specific subjects.

Any help/idea appreciated.

Claudio

Solved Solved
0 3 140
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I followed your advise and created a simple script in AppScript to generate the entire table, another for adding new students, and one for ading new subjects; of course one for deleting the whole table. All four processes can be called directly from a bot in the Appsheet App, two of them using parameters (new student, and new subject). So I produced a full School students roster linking tables like: Students, Courses, Subjects and Teachers. This is An Administrators app and a also al developed a simple teachers app (filtered by their email address)  to edit the students marks.

Instituto_San_1_0-1678851824885.png

Instituto_San_1_1-1678851887922.pngInstituto_San_1_2-1678851955778.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

3000 records is wayyy too many to generate via looped actions, even 300 would be.

You can try a webhook to Appsheet API, generate all 3k records with nested START expressions.

If this is just a one-time thing, or something that only needs done a few times a year, you could also do it directly in the GSheet backend. Check this out https://sheetswithmaxmakhrov.wordpress.com/2017/12/22/generate-all-possible-combinations-for-columns...

I followed your advise and created a simple script in AppScript to generate the entire table, another for adding new students, and one for ading new subjects; of course one for deleting the whole table. All four processes can be called directly from a bot in the Appsheet App, two of them using parameters (new student, and new subject). So I produced a full School students roster linking tables like: Students, Courses, Subjects and Teachers. This is An Administrators app and a also al developed a simple teachers app (filtered by their email address)  to edit the students marks.

Instituto_San_1_0-1678851824885.png

Instituto_San_1_1-1678851887922.pngInstituto_San_1_2-1678851955778.png

Thank you

Yes, it is just like you said, it is to generate the students year mark roster, any new student added during the rest of the school year would be a single record generated. All i want to do is try to replicate a SQL instruction INSERT INTO (field, field,field,etc) SELECT DISTINCTROW field.table, field.table, etc FROM (join or references), which performed this bulk record population. 

I will check your link

Thanks

Claudio

Top Labels in this Space