hide cancel button in desktop version

Hello everyone, I know this topic has already been discussed, but I have an additional problem related to this topic that I didn't find in the community.

I wanted to hide the cancel button in a login form, and I achieved the result in the mobile version using the following formula in the localize menu:

IF( IN(CONTEXT("View"), LIST("Registrazione")),"", "Cancel")

However, in the desktop version, the button has not been completely removed because the button border is still visible. Even worse, the button is still functional, redirecting to another page...

Please see the enclosed pictures.

Immagine WhatsApp 2023-09-25 ore 15.29.49.jpgImmagine WhatsApp 2023-09-25 ore 15.29.22.jpg

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Solved Solved
0 6 401
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I felt I should reply here as well as the Desktop Main thread.

It is not possible, at this time, to eliminate the Cancel button.  The real bug is that we are able to change the Cancel button label to blank when the real intent was to just be able to rename the button.

@ivanangel wrote:

and this is a problem because users can access the app without signing in...

This seems to be your main concern...that users can access your app without signing in and I presume then CANCEL out of the Form.  Your intention is that they MUST fill out the form.

It appears your goal is to create your own login in process.  This is not recommended but if you insist then it should only be done IF you do not require an extremely secure app.  Since this type of app has no way to know who the actual user is, accounts can easily be shared and/or spoofed.

If security is critical for your app, then you will want to use the built in security AppSheet has provided.  It uses proven authentication providers with the option of 2 Factor authentication.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Even in mobile view, even if you have hidden the text "Cancel" using the localization option, if the user hovers at the place where the cancel button is and taps on it the "Cancel" related operation takes place. So one merely hides the text  and a small placeholder for "Cancel" button still remains even in mobile view.

In case of desktop view, there seems to be additional issue of the border being visible. I think you may need to report this issue in the main thread on desktop version in the announcements section to get the attention of developer team.

Youโ€™re right, the button function is still working in the mobile view as well, and this is a problem because users can access the app without signing in...

Do you know if there are any other solutions to bypass the issue?

For the desktop view, I'll report it to the main thread...

No , sorry. I believe there is currently no other workaround available.

I felt I should reply here as well as the Desktop Main thread.

It is not possible, at this time, to eliminate the Cancel button.  The real bug is that we are able to change the Cancel button label to blank when the real intent was to just be able to rename the button.

@ivanangel wrote:

This seems to be your main concern...that users can access your app without signing in and I presume then CANCEL out of the Form.  Your intention is that they MUST fill out the form.

It appears your goal is to create your own login in process.  This is not recommended but if you insist then it should only be done IF you do not require an extremely secure app.  Since this type of app has no way to know who the actual user is, accounts can easily be shared and/or spoofed.

If security is critical for your app, then you will want to use the built in security AppSheet has provided.  It uses proven authentication providers with the option of 2 Factor authentication.

Good luck!

Thanks @WillowMobileSys for that summary. In addition, here is the AppSheet docs link on the sign-in topic: https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/10104975?hl=en

@ivanangel wrote:

Yes, as @WillowMobileSys rightly cautioned, I was also about to respond on your above mentioned statement. Somehow I was not able to locate the relevant help article that nicely explains "homegrown" user login system's dangers. I have located  the said article. Please take a look at the section "Can I secure an app without making a user sign-in?"

Require sign-in: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

Edit: At the same time, my suggestion to approach in the desktop view announcement thread remains intact to report on border getting displayed. This is so because the extra border when the "Cancel" button is hidden with a blank space is a minor "display" issue.

Top Labels in this Space