Action: UPDATE EXISTING ROW(s) using values from this row

This feature request is for a new Action-type that would replace the need for several actions to accomplish the same task:
Update a set of rows using values from this row

Currently we can:
Add a NEW row to another table using values from this row, and
Execute an action on a set of rows

But to pass values from the current row to a set of existing rows requires a bit more setup. This could easily be defined in a single action and could use the same UI as the existing actions:

2X_0_07d9a0f2e09c460101cfe18fc81e2781dd59360c.png

This would really simplify a lot of common routines where you want to push a value from a parent record to multiple child records. And I think it would replace the need for workflows in some cases, making the app more powerful when in offline mode.

Status Under Review
137 43 8,950
43 Comments
pravse
Staff

Maybe to clarify a bit …

What I expect we’ll do is something like this:

on table T1, we’ll have an action called A1 that says: set the value of X to [Parameter1]

and on table T2, we’ll have an action called A2 that says, for all these rows of T1, call action A1 and assign [Parameter1] =

We already have both these kinds of actions. But we do not have the ability to assign the “Paramerer1” variable

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

I m afraid i m fully catching up with your point. But for me, it sounds like the storing value of [Parameter 1] somewhere such as custom user table or custom variable table with VC, we could pass that value to the target columns, so it sounds fesaible to me, but the problem is that we need to “sync” to fully update such as variable. Thats my point.

pravse
Staff

Yes, we won’t be going thru a complicated mechanism like that. You shouldn’t need to explicit define some global variable and put values into it and take values out of it.
The design here is well-known and is the same as in prety much all programming languages. We need to introduce it in a way that is intuitive in AppSheet.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Yes, intuitive enough like “Usersetttings” function (but not sync version, run and calc Client side only) kinds of easy-peasy one is awaited.

elco

Yes please! This would make lives so much easier. I never would have assumed this would not be possible. All architecture designs rely on this functionality, otherwise you’re not following basic design principles like not duplication data/schema/etc. Even AS doc mentions this is the way except it puts you in a cage that is impossible to get out of.

Nothing is intuitive in AppSheet. Please just us something that we can bash our heads at to figure it out eventually.

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

The new INPUT() function still requires two actions (which is more than the single action requested here) but it’s pretty simple. Here’s a “tip” I wrote that explains a very simple sample app I made to text it out:

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Karimmc2
Silver 2
Silver 2

This would be so helpful, 

I always have to manage a workaround this issue with bots and unefficient expressions. 

SajmonWawa
Bronze 2
Bronze 2

That's exact functionality that i need the most in my cuurent project ❤️ hope it comes usable soon

Ju213
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

Very much needed feature. Would make life super simple. 

Status changed to: Under Review
Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pirate1
Bronze 2
Bronze 2

Another vote ☝️

alejomgp
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

Any update on this?