NFC UID reader

Hi
Is it possible to make an app that reads the UId of NFC tag. We can put the UID as first record in the tag but the problem is NFC tags can be cloned. I need the app to read the tag UID and show it in a textbox.
Regards

Status Open
10 13 1,079
13 Comments
Aleksi
Staff

Let me check this from our devs.

Grant_Stead
Silver 5
Silver 5

I’ve done quite a bit of testing, about a year ago… It did NOT, I had to force text values to each NFC, pain in the butt… Would love it if it could read the UUID…

chwaheed

hi
Writing the value to NFC tag is not a solution as I dont want the user to clone the tag.

Grant_Stead
Silver 5
Silver 5

Agreed, further, Appsheet won’t read them encrypted either.

Fabian_Weller
Gold 1
Gold 1

You could use an external UID reader.

Aleksi
Staff

Unfortunately you are not able to read the UId at this moment. It’s something we could do, but we haven’t done that yet.

Fabio_Maroni

Dear all,

Any news about this topic?

Thanks

Grant_Stead
Silver 5
Silver 5

Not that I know of.

nzxc

Any updates on this, as this would be very useful

JohnC

+1

If we could read the UID, we would not need to write any data to our tags at any point in our workflow; we could simply keep data in our database and use the UID as a key.

Sevil_Natas

The request for allowing AppSheets to capture UID from NFC tags was first made in 2018!!! Now that it is going on 2022, the official response is “Unfortunately you are not able to read the UId at this moment. It’s something we could do, but we haven’t done that yet.” or in other words eff you. From that statement, I take it that they could do it but you all just haven’t waited long enough. I can guarantee you that almost no one wants to read anything off the NFC tag BUT the UID. The whole concept of storing data or behaviors on NFC tags has turned out to be a non-starter for anyone utilizing them with a device smarted than a rock. If your app has data connection to a data store, which 99% of apps do these days, it is far more reliable to use the NFC tag for the UID and the data store to store data. Now if AppSheets wants to develop a new feature that writes to NFCs, which I doubt the do, then we could just include writing our own UID to the tag within our app’s workflow. Maybe we can get that in 2050.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bjarne_Allerup
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

After 4 years I came back to find that my desire to be able to read the UID from an NFC Tag has not yet been resolved, so I probably have to conclude that I cannot use AppSheet to help my customers with App's that use NFC Tags.
Being able to use the UID in NFC Tags is the only thing that is absolutely necessary.
We currently use a different system, but many customers have specific needs that we could easily develop with AppSheet. Our customers already have NFC Tags sitting at their locations, these Tags are used to document the presence of Employees, completion of specific tasks, documentation of routes for an employee during a working day, etc.