Show action name for "Display overlay" on hover by mouse

We deveployed new apps recently to new clients (the end users are new to appsheet as always), and getting the feedbacks. Among others, majorities of new app users are claming they are now sure what Action icon/button will do, so they are bit scared to hit the action icon as they are not expecting what will happen to him/her.

The action icon placed in Display prominently position, the action name below the icon is a good indication what the action action will do for the app users, while the action icon for the display overlay position not necessarily telling app user what the action will do and why they are there.

Ideally, app need to be “intuitive”, better to avoid the prepartion of “guide to app” or any other documentation so that the app user use app. App need to be intitive enough.

Lack of capability to show, present and display the name of action for overlay is making app user to difficult to navigate across the apps.

Just simple solution shold solve the problem.

We wish to have “On hover by mouse” event and then tooltips will show up, upon hovering the icon by mouse. On the mobile phone, there is no on hover mouse event is available, but we could utilize the “on holding down icon” event to display the icon names for soltion across different type of devices.

Status Open
6 19 1,457
19 Comments
Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

Apologies to @Will_Witman : It has been announced.

The reason that I couldn’t find it was that I had searched “Feature Release Notes” for “overlay.” This brings me to another problem I have noticed with AppSheet: Multiple names for the same things. In the editor, the word “overlay” is used:

3X_b_0_b095818a781d1efb46d6e37b4743f6c1e5e00cbe.png

The documentation doesn’t seem to include the terms “overlay” or “floating” for the display of actions.

I think that “floating” is as good as or better than “overlay” but, if we learn the term “overlay” in the editor, I think we should be able to search for that term in this forum. So, I would like to request that you include alternative names in parentheses to help people find things with the search function. Thanks!

Steven_Aung
Silver 2
Silver 2

If you happen to have custom chrome plug-in or something similar, inject following code (required jQuery)

$(document).on("mouseover", ".GenericActionButton[data-testonly-action]", function(){    
        $(this).attr("title", $(this).attr("data-testonly-action"));
    });

at least, users can see tooltips for action buttons when they are using apps in a browser.

3X_3_9_398aab45c3e8ddaa087a2e90500cb9360898bcd2.png

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Stephen_Ehmann
Silver 1
Silver 1

Is there an active thread about *inline* actions tooltips?  This one is about "Display prominently" actions.  For "Display inline" actions, I have a small empty tooltip come up no matter how I set the Display name of the action. Is anyone else facing this?

I have tried all of these with the same result that these all yield a small empty tooltip.

(default empty text mode) Display Name =

(default empty formula mode) Display Name =

(formula mode) Display Name = "Email"

(formula mode) Display Name = ""

(formula mode) Display Name = " "

I am using Chrome and have tested but in the appsheet editor as well as the browser view of the app. I also verified that my inline action icon changed so I was sure I was testing the correct action.

Any help or guidance is appreciated. thanks, Stephen