APPS SCRIPT: Custom Confirmation Page + Add-Row When User Clicks URL

This script will add a new row to a table, and display a custom confirmation page to the user.

The confirmation page is dynamic HTML, fed from the โ€œMessageโ€ sheet.
3X_3_c_3c1234f7f7c57909824c3b87d864e6e6905944fd.png

When the URL is viewed, this also adds a new row to the โ€œResponseโ€ sheet.

3X_d_4_d4a261db359ac66b96ca845aba90f1de6dd0d3a5.png

Once the script is published as a webapp, dynamic links can be generated in AppSheet and used in Actions, Workflows, Email Templates, etc.

(https://script.google.com/macros/s/{SCRIPT_ID}/exec?Key=2&Email=TEST@GMAIL.COM&Status=CONFIRMED) 
(https://script.google.com/macros/s/{SCRIPT_ID}/exec?Key=3&Email=TEST@GMAIL.COM&Status=CANCELLED)

3X_2_a_2a51b9687a0bd2cbc99058d86e997c4ef72f62e5.png

NOTES ON SECURITY

There is no secure login.

• The script writes values to the sheet based on the URL parameters in the link.
  • Anyone could build new links with another userโ€™s email address and respond as them.
  • Refreshing the page submits a new response.

SCRIPT

Summary
function doGet(e) {

var p = e.parameter;
  var key =p.Key;
  var email = p.Email;
  var status = p.Status
  var ss = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet();
  var sheetName = 'Message';  
  var sh = ss.getSheetByName(sheetName);
  var lastCol = sh.getLastColumn();
  var range = sh.getRange(key, 2, 1, lastCol).getValues();

var h1 = '<!DOCTYPE html><html><body><h1>' + range[0][0] + '</h1>';
  var h2 = '<h2>' + range[0][1] + '</h2>';
  var h3 = '<h3>' + email + '</h3>';
  var body = range[0][2] + '<p><p>';
  var footer = range[0][3] + '</body></html>';

var msg = h1 + h2 + h3 + body + footer;

var response = ss.getSheetByName('Response');
  var lastRow = response.getLastRow();
  var newRow = [];
  var d = new Date();
  newRow.push([[d],[email],[status]]);
  response.getRange(lastRow+1, 1,1,3).setValues(newRow);

return HtmlService.createHtmlOutput(msg);

}

This is a work in progress that I wanted to share to get ideas from the community. Iโ€™m going to work on a button for the confirmation page, so that the user has to click to add a row instead of every view/refresh adding a row.

It could also use some validation on each input, and only write valid requests to the sheet.

Other ideas?

5 6 1,428
6 REPLIES 6

Wow cool idea! I will definetly play around with this! Thank you!

Nice! Another tool on the belt to help expand the AppSheet capabilities.

Since you asked for other ideasโ€ฆ

Iโ€™m wondering why the need to go outside of the AppSheet platform for this use case?

My thoughts are that you could use a modified Detail view to serve as the Confirmation Message. When an appointment is entered, you can navigate to the Confirmation Message Detail View using the โ€œFinish Viewโ€ property on the Form.

For notifications/reminders, Push notifications are ideal. You can even include a link to the appointment so the user can go straight to the appointment to make any changes.

Itโ€™s useful when the โ€˜userโ€™ clicking the URL isnโ€™t an AppSheet user. You could email a confirmation link to a โ€˜Contactโ€™ stored in your app and collect a response without that contact needing an AppSheet account.

Imagine if you had thousands of Contacts and only wanted to collect a single response to verify their email, or subscribe/unsubscribe from a mailing list. Why bother having thousands of users download and install AppSheet to submit a single response? You could use a Google Form with a prefilled link, but you wouldnโ€™t get dynamic confirmation pages based on the response.

Yes, Iโ€™d probably use this method as well if the link was being emailed to an active AppSheet user. I guess I forgot to explain that part in the original post.

But in my use-case, 'user 1โ€™ is creating/sending the link as an AppSheet user, and โ€˜user 2โ€™ clicking the link could be anyone-- without an AppSheet account. The confirmation page is a message to user2, so a detail view is not an option.

Got it! Makes sense.

Thatโ€™s cool @GreenFlux
I was using GAS for this as explained by @LeventK

But in my opinion it takes to long to open up the page. 2-3 seconds to me.

Integromat seems a little bit faster to me.

I am helping a local nonprofit organization with an email event campaign and looking have a link in the email to confirm, this is a great note, I am not sure how to view or use the solution. Any pointer would be greatly appreciated. 

Top Labels in this Space