Change appearance of headings or "display names"

Currently, AppSheet does not allow us to use format rules to change the appearance of the headings in detail views. This has led me, @tsuji_koichi and others to ask for this ability:

Koji just posted his request and that prompted me to reread my old request on the same topic. In response to it @Jonathan_S had asked if there was a temporary work around and I answered the I didnโ€™t know of one. Then it occurred to me that I did. So, here it is.

First, the default:

2X_1_1508bd510a2fd32e38fef739241a66bb118876b9.png

This is fine if you have good eyesight and your happy with small headings and larger text for the information in the record, but some of us would like more choice. Hereโ€™s what I came up with today:

2X_9_929a938d6cf9627e3a3baabd9113186b75a0da5c.png

There are more possibilities than this but these are three examples. How did I do it? Iโ€™ve made the sample app (Heading practice) available on my profile page:

https://www.appsheet.com/portfolio/230844

And here are the steps:

1. Eliminate the heading by placing a space in the โ€œDisplay nameโ€ spot
    2X_2_245e68b0b454e2df831185cd990fb5307abf2f3a.png

2. Refer to @Gerald_Kariukiโ€™s โ€œText font trickโ€ to hard-encode a different appearance to your heading text:
    Text font trick

3. Put a line change into your Google sheet that you can use as your โ€œreturnโ€

4. Put it all together in a concatenate() expression:
    concatenate(โ€œ๐•Š๐•–๐•”๐• ๐•Ÿ๐•• ๐•™๐•–๐•’๐••๐•š๐•Ÿ๐•˜โ€,[Line change],[Second heading])

So, it can be done but I hope AppSheet will make it easier for us.

9 9 7,314
  • UX
9 REPLIES 9

Hi @Kirk_Masden,

Thank you for your recap.
Unfortunately, this is not going to work as solution for me. For instance, when you change the display name to blank, i.e. " ", then we will lose the column name from other view, especially the field name in table view is also left blank.

I just simply want to have optional setting for detail view only to set the size of field name, large, small etc.

Sure. I understand that itโ€™s a problematic solution. In your case, if you really wanted to do this, I think that it would be possible if you made extra virtual columns just for the purpose โ€“ but that would be a lot of extra work. It will be much better if AppSheet can provide a permanent fix.

I do this using SWITCH() and CONTEXT() in the Display Name expression. Then I can show different labels based on View Type (table, detail, etc) or on specific Views (name of the view where you donโ€™t want to show the column name). SWITCH works well because you can list lots of different scenarios.

SWITCH(
CONTEXT(โ€œViewTypeโ€),
โ€œtableโ€,โ€œtables are dopeโ€,
โ€œdetailโ€," ",
โ€œboring olโ€™ column nameโ€
)

I thought VC option, but actually it does not work, hence I ended up with feature request. Hope this is taken.

Unbelievable, just anything is possible.

Im going to use this for one of my apps,

but Appsheet take this and make it easily integratable and changeable please :). @praveen

By the way, for anyone who might be reading this who is interested in controlling the appearance of text in headings and elsewhere in your app, you might be interested in a tip I wrote about how to bring directional quotation marks into AppSheet:

Hi Kirk,
I didnยดt understand the step 3 โ€œPut a line change as your returnโ€ and the step 4: where do you put the concatenate?
Thanks!

Hi! Iโ€™m not sure if my way is the best method but I think that, on my Mac, I held down the command key while hitting the return key to insert a line change inside that cell of the Google spreadsheet. Then, I could access that inside of AppSheet.

I think the CONCATENATE() expression was in the main part of the virtual column, not the display name part. The display name is turned off with " ".

Itโ€™s been a while so my memory is fuzzy but I hope what Iโ€™ve written is correct.

Thank you very much Kirk!

Top Labels in this Space