Custom enhanced search function

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Inspired by this thread:

I put together a sample app to perform a more free-form search rather than the literal search provided by the built-in search bar. The app uses slices, a dashboard view, and keeps searches isolated to each device.

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/community28312?appGuidString=2ea965d7-8656-4d9d-a9d2-ed3dc5ca5813

A huge limitation is that text manipulation in AppSheet is very difficult. The inability to easily isolate words from non-space non-words (e.g., punctuation) makes matching whole words difficult when the words are adjacent to non-space non-words. Would be nice to have EXTRACTWORDS()โ€ฆ

15 5 1,312
5 REPLIES 5

Oh DARNIT I was hoping you had magically solved the โ€œpartial searchโ€ problem with AppSheet lol. But this is awesome too! So good to have an example - wish Iโ€™d had this two weeks ago! :-))) The next person trying to do this should find it easier.

Yes itโ€™s a massive, massive problem with AppSheet that โ€œpartial wordโ€ search just isnโ€™t possible. When I search โ€œlightโ€ I expect to find โ€œlightingโ€, but its not possible. Insanity. Especially now from a Google product. LOL

My current workaround (it sucks) is to have a Keywords column in my table, and for each item I try to manually add variations (light lighting lighter lite) believe it or not. And make sure I donโ€™t put any commas or periods or anything in there. (!!)

Also, Steve, if you think of any other way to say โ€œpartial word searchโ€, please write it here so people desperately trying to find this info can find it! And know that itโ€™s not possible before they hit their head against a brick wall too much lol

My sample app does partial matching.

lol sorry I checked it out so fast as I have an insane day - so sorry!!!

Well done!! My head just exploded trying to figure out what youโ€™re doing under the hood to make this work hahaha. Iโ€™ll get back to this and try to figure it out someday!!! Then try to implement it on my own stuff!

Top Labels in this Space