Difference between INDEX() and ANY() with lists

By and large, you can use INDEX() or ANY() interchangeably.

There is 1 scenario that I know of where a false-positive can be reached when using ANY()

Letโ€™s say youโ€™ve got a Current_User (slice) with a field that users can change to turn on a โ€œspecial modeโ€ inside your app, and youโ€™ve keyed everything (show ifs for columns, views, actions, etc.) off the presence of a value inside that field.

If you used the following formula:

ISNOTBLANK(ANY(Current_User[User_Special_Mode_Flag]))

When this is evaluated, and the list is empty, it can return TRUE.

This happens because the ANY() tells the system to pull out the first item in the list

• that list being all the records inside the Current_User (slice).

And since there is a record present for the Current_User (slice)โ€ฆ

• ISNOTBLANK() = true
    • even though the actual value is {nothing}

If you use INDEX() however, this doesnโ€™t happen.

ISNOTBLANK(INDEX(Current_User[User_Special_Mode_Flag], 1))

• This is because INDEX() tells the system to extract the first value from the listโ€ฆ not just take the first item from the list.
    • this is slightly different from ANY() in the sense that INDEX() both takes the first item, andโ€ฆ umโ€ฆ extracts (??) it too. lol

So the final result is not the first entry, itโ€™s the first value.

(I hope that made some sort of sense)

Additionally, ANY() has sometimes been known to change data-types from whatever it was (number, decimal, list) to a text.

• INDEX() has always maintained the correct data-type
10 3 553
3 REPLIES 3

Interesting.

However, I was unable to replicate your scenario:

3X_6_1_6115e4f6b8a4b7ccc19a60a2b04486fc428fa0c8.png

3X_c_e_cefe53d0fbcd0e26cb5a03bc8af64d02f0f0ed7a.png

I thought maybe I mis-read, so I changed this, to have a Slice of zero records:

3X_c_1_c171d853fe3a140e5f8cdccdf8de393ed4687ba4.png

But still:

Awesome!

• this is one of those wishy-washy bugs, it gets fixed then it breaks then it gets fixed again, but it seems like lately thatโ€™s starting to taper off and itโ€™s just always starting to work.

I donโ€™t remember if thereโ€™s any more edge cases, the only one I could remember is this is not blank thing.

• but thankfully it looks like thatโ€™s no longer a problem!

Ami
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

If i recall correctly, i have used ANY() where i need to look back at a parent table from a child record in order to change the value of a parent, what you said makes sense now when i look back. So Index is now my goto expression? I would think that after so many years there would be something built in that would do that.

Top Labels in this Space