Introducing A New Resource: In-App Guides

Hey everyone.

Over the past few months Iโ€™ve been working on building a system to deliver a new type of resource for the community, one that would give people step-by-step guides on how to implement specific functionalities in their apps. Things like:

• How to delete child records with parent records
  • How to use Gravatars
  • Quickly implementing an avatar builder
  • How to turn on/off quick edits using actions
  • and moreโ€ฆ

What sets these resources apart is the fact that they are presented directly inside the AppSheet editor - right in the app preview! Yes you heard right.

I call them โ€œIn-App Guidesโ€

I call them โ€œin-appโ€ because, wellโ€ฆ theyโ€™re presented inside the app preview. (Itโ€™s a guide, inside your appโ€ฆ In-App Guides) There are some unique advantages to providing guides inside the app preview, interactivity being one of them.

Learn more here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/introducing-in-35115500

18 18 2,277
18 REPLIES 18

The following guides were published and made public on 4/1/2020:

• This guide shows how to quickly implement the avatar builder first introduced to the community by Tsuji Koichi
  • How To Import Gravatars Automatically
    • This guide shows how to pull the Gravatar for an email
  • RoboHash Images
    • This guide shows how you can use the RoboHash service to pull in temporary images as stand-ins (including monsters, robots, kittens, etc.)
  • Add GeoFencing
    • This guide shows how to add GeoFencing to your app
  • Trigger Workflow Manually
    • This guide shows how to trigger a workflow with the push of an action button
  • Force A Sync
    • This guide shows how to use an action to force your app to sync
  • Creating Action Based Alerts
    • This guide shows how to use actions to create a pop up alert message
  • Changing Default App Folder
    • This guide shows how to change/update the default app folder for your app
  • Delete Child Records with Parent Delete
    • This guide shows how to use actions and workflows to delete all the related records when a parent record is deleted
  • Using UnSplash for Images
    • This guide shows how to use the UnSplash service to pull in related images
  • Party Parrot
    • Nuff said
  • Update Row App Formulas
    • This guide shows how to quickly cause all the app formulas for a row to recalculate
  • Update Related Records From Parent Update
    • This guide shows how to cause all the related records to update when the parent record is updated
  • App Update Feature
    • This guide shows how to use the app update feature to update your app
  • Action Controlled Quick Edits
    • This guide shows how use actions to control which columns can be edited via the quickedit system on detail views.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/public-in-app-1-35512470

Hi Matt,

I am sure it will be very handy reference to all the app creators. Thank you very much.

Hey Matt,
Awesome works, I just understand why you have been quiet on the community for the last weeks or so!
I want to access to the site of https://www.patreon.com/posts/35115500
but 504 errors is returned, I assume you still working on it to alter the site.

No @tsuji_koichi thatโ€™s a live post that should be accessible.

I was just able to access it in an incognito window - maybe try again?

Try this: https://www.patreon.com/posts/introducing-in-35115500

Gotcha, Matt!

yes, I managed to access to the site on incognito window on the Chrome. Now looking deep inside!

Thatโ€™s pretty neat!
Party Parrot FTW

2X_4_465daf14f4099bbb3d5bbb4c4dd4dce77ef1da20.gif

Pretty cool Matt, great work!

Hello Matt,

Thank you for sharing. I am benefiting very much from your sample app Signature Copy Action.
I have a similar question to updating data but this time i need to update parent records status from child record.

I built a sales tracking app. I am updating purchase order parent record and child records are updated as in your app. But for some child records i do inspection and some of child lines has status inspection and some has delivered. Parent record has status awaiting delivery. So my question, when i complete inspection i set automatically child record status delivered as well. How can i update parent record delivered once all child records have status delivered?

Thank you very much

Furkan

Thanks Mattโ€ฆ Works greatโ€ฆ Loving itโ€ฆ

thank you everything works fine now!

Glad to hear! (^_^)

Awesome work, @MultiTech_Visions!

The โ€˜auto-tableโ€™ setup on its own is pretty cool, but the way youโ€™ve combined it with show-columns to make an app-guide out of a form view is brilliant!

You really donโ€™t have to do anything besides import the table. I was pretty surprised when I clicked the (+) on the first form and there was formatting, images, multiple pagesโ€ฆ just awesome!

Thank you @GreenFlux , and you too @LeventK! (^_^)

Iโ€™ve been occupied lately with other projects, but I intend on releasing another round of guides here in the next month or so.

Let me know what guides you would like to see next.

Awesome work @MultiTech_Visions, congrats bud!

HBT
Silver 4
Silver 4

For a long time I was thinking about how this process could be done. Coincidentally I came across this post and downloaded the file (PUBLIC In-App Guides - Google Drive). I examined it. You are great. Thank you very much for sharing information.

You are quite welcome. (^_^)

Iโ€™ve got a few other more advanced guides, as well as AppSheet table templates, on my Patreon account.

Iโ€™ve built an AppSheet app that puts together all the code bits to make all that work. I had dreams of polishing the app enough that I could open it up to people so they could utilize the same power Iโ€™ve uncovered. But ultimately the app is rife with pitfalls and difficulties; syntax, escaping quotes and things, thereโ€™s tons of technical details that have to be โ€œjust rightโ€ in order for things to work.

Hereโ€™s a video I put out a year ago that highlights that app I was talking about:

Thanks again for the kind words!

ATR
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Hey Matt, youโ€™re awesome!
Good job!!

Top Labels in this Space