Set Initial Value of TIME column to nearest 15 minute interval

This one took me a minute to figure out so I figured Iโ€™d share here to save someone else the time. I needed a TIME column with an Initial Value rounded up to the nearest 15 minutes.

TIME(
  TIME(HOUR(NOW()-"0:00")+"1:00")-
    IFS(
      MINUTE(NOW()-"0:00")>45,"0:00",
      MINUTE(NOW()-"0:00")>30,"0:15",
      MINUTE(NOW()-"0:00")>15,"0:30",
      MINUTE(NOW()-"0:00")>0,"0:45"
    )
  )

NOW() is a time but HOUR() and MINUTE() take a duration as input, so subtracting โ€œ0:00โ€ converts the data type.

Then I go to the start of the next hour and come back an interval of 15 minutes based on the current time.

[EDIT] - Almost forgot! Add this to the Valid If expression to ensure the time is always on an even 15 minute interval.

OR(
MINUTE([TimeStart]-"0:00")=0,
MINUTE([TimeStart]-"0:00")=15,
MINUTE([TimeStart]-"0:00")=30,
MINUTE([TimeStart]-"0:00")=45
)

In my case, the client wants it auto-filled for convenience, but needs the option to edit. Therefore, they could change the value to some other time thatโ€™s not an even 15 minutes. This setup allows editing, but ensures the minutes are always 0, 15, 30 or 45.

11 6 2,414
6 REPLIES 6

This is Great.

Thank you.

@GreenFlux so close! your last switch needs to support the exact top of the hour:

MINUTE([TimeDesired]-"0:00")>=0,"0:45",

Good catch! Thanks @TyAlevizos!

Can i use this to say a file playback length like a video is 2 minutes long , total newbe so not even sure if that goes in the yes/ no configuration

Hi @Cullen_Prosper,

Iโ€™m not sure the technique in this post would apply in your case. I would suggest starting a new post to describe your issue, and include some background on your app with a few screen shots if possible.

Hey,

Is this still working for you?

I tried inputting the information and it doesnโ€™t seem to be working for me

Top Labels in this Space