Best approach for supporting user parameters in (Workflow) Reports?

Stumped and looking for a best practice recommendation. I have a Reports table with some basic information like Report Name, Report Description, Sort Order, and a Last Triggered Date. This feeds nicely into a Deck view to list the reports with name / description, hooked to a custom Action that sets the value of the corresponding reportโ€™s Last Triggered Date to trigger a Workflow with a โ€œDo Thisโ€ that sends a report.

For one of the reports, my client would like to specify a Start Date so that instead of the report containing all records it only contains records since that date. Iโ€™m struggling with what would be the best way, or even a good way, to support this:

• Add a new Start Date column to the Reports table? Iโ€™d conditionally hide it on the other reports?
  • Add a new table to contain unique fields (Start Date) for this report, referencing back to the report in question? I wouldnโ€™t know how to tie that new tableโ€™s field as an editable field in the view of the main report record.
  • Change structure so that each report is its own table? I think Iโ€™d lose the Deck view capability?

And actually, as I think about this more, right now users only need to access the Details view to fire the Action to generate the report. Since a Details view canโ€™t have an editable field, I might be even more fundamentally lost than I realized for how to set up something like this. It wouldnโ€™t seem right to make a user navigate into an Edit form just to adjust a report parameter. (Especially if Iโ€™m setting up permissions to prohibit some users from editing the other report fields, but those users would need to run reports with parameters they can adjust.)

0 3 384
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @matty2112,

You may wish to consider following options

Have you taken a look at โ€œQuick Editsโ€. Of course โ€œQuick Editsโ€ may be typically used for a couple of fields and not suitable for filling up entire form of many fields.

Have you also taken a look at the following sample app? In this app the user input is in detail view , using the โ€œquick editโ€ feature. Ths app is useful for one userโ€™s inputs at a time. The appconcept may be extended for multiple users , by incorporating a userโ€™s table that has one row for each userโ€™s setting.

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/Allow-the-user-to-filter-a-view-based-on-a-form?appGuidString=91266...

Another option for user specific settings, typically used for infrequently changing values is user settings. usersettings need a full sync of the app for the new setting to take effect.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into Quick Edit as a means to address what I wrote in my final paragraph about editable fields in Detail view.

Any insight about the best approach to take regarding structure as I laid out in those theoretical examples in my bullet list? Is that where you were going with the user settings comments?

Hi @matty2112,

Based on the information you have given, I would have probably gone for quick edits in detail view option as you seem to have only start date as a variable for the report records filtering. Quick edits also appear transparent to user as the sync takes place in the background.

However, I would definitely mention that you will be the best placed to select the most appropriate approach knowing your usersโ€™ requirements and other app structure.

I would urge you to browse the article and sample app shared in detail so you get a better awareness of how quick edits and associated filtering logic works.

Top Labels in this Space