The following feature has been added to the Preview Program. Feel free to test the feature and report issues or possible improvements in this thread.
App users can now filter items from a collection of records based on column values.
The feature is available both on mobile devices and desktop computers.
Here is a very simple example. Your application has pastries that have a ‘price’ and a ‘type’ (Sweet vs Savory). In a view that shows all pastries, app users can now filter to see only the ones that are Savory and that cost less than $3.99.
How do app creators enable this?
- Go to your Data Schema and make sure the ‘Search’ toggle is turned on for each column that app users should be able to consider
- Save your application
App users will see the feature after their next sync.
How do app users work with it?
- After it’s been enabled by the app creator and after app users have synced their app, app users can click on the Search icon
- In the search bar, app users click on the filter icon (icon screenshot here)
- This opens the filtering widget
- App users can then specify filtering values for each column
- App users click ‘Done’ to get back to the view with the results
See screenshots below for visual details.
What are the supported views?
Only collection views are supported, namely:
- Card, Deck, Gallery, Table, Map*, Calendar, Chart
The filtering mechanism currently does not support multiple tables at the same time. As a result, filtering on the Dashboard View is currently not available. Similarly, in the Map View it is only possible to filter records of the primary table, but not of the secondary table.
What are the supported data types?
Is the filter persistent?
If an app user sets up a filter on a view,
- After looking at individual records of that filtered list, going back shows the filtered list
- When the app user goes to another view of the same data set, the filter persists
Does it work offline?
Filtering works offline as it applies to the data that was downloaded to the device.
How does that relate to Security filters?
This is independent of security filters. Security filters allow only certain data to be downloaded to the device. This new feature filters data that’s already been downloaded to the device.