Force smaller column width / Columns unnecessarily wide

Hi there. I’ve looked around and found a few others to ask similar questions, but what I’m looking for hasn’t yet been answered as far as I can see.

I’ve read that “Save and verify” should automatically make columns the exact correct width that is required to show data. However, on my relatively large phone screen, the lay-out of my tables is not what I’d like it to be. I also do NOT have horizontal scrolling enabled (which was also suggested in some topics). And please note, I am already on Column width: Narrow (I also tried the other options, which didn’t really change anything).

Here’s an example:

2X_5_51c63b26f0fe09760e14347d5808043274c501ae.jpeg

What I would like is (I edited this with MS Paint :-P):

Any advice/tips/tricks are more than welcome!

Thanks!

EDIT: some deeper searching led me to this topic Truncation of columns: I have tried all the ... in which someone is experiencing problems with Formatted columns, saying that the icon/color causes problems with automatic column width. However, their column is getting truncated (too small, resulting in elipsis…), my problem is the opposite.

2 8 756
  • UX
8 REPLIES 8

Hi, try to use shorter display names with your columns and then Save & Verify.

Hi Aleksi, Thanks for your reply. The display names of my columns are super short (Date, Time, Title).

I would guess that the “gap” is reserved for seconds like “:00”.

Hi Aleksi,

Although that should be a bug by itself (if I chose to hide seconds, they should not take up space, right?), I honestly think it has something to do with the formatting of the 3rd column (the color and/or the icon). Without the format rule, the time column is small.

Please also see this topic: Truncation of columns: I have tried all the ...

Actually never mind, without the formatting rules this still happens:

2X_d_d13bcd8b0267f6382f0b71fae65e2399c1b60721.jpeg

Any other suggestions?

You could add a TEXT type of virtual column where you convert it as a text. Then it will have only 5 digits.

Hi Aleksi, thanks again for your reply. What do you mean exactly? Which column should I convert to text? The time column?

I tried making a new automated column that parses the Time column as text, which initially rendered me values like yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss, but after some parsing

IFS(ISNOTBLANK([Tijd]), IFS(HOUR(“0” & [Tijd])<10,“0”) & HOUR(“0” & [Tijd]) & “:” & IFS(MINUTE(“0” & [Tijd])<10,“0”) & MINUTE(“0” & [Tijd]))

I managed to make it hh:mm

However, the column still stays exactly as wide as it was.

So… it was still the same even when you changed it to your new column and you did Save & Verify?

Yes

I sort of did a work-around by adding “hour” to the timestamp (to fill up the white space a bit)
but this shouldn’t be necessary and there still is a little bit too much white space.

Top Labels in this Space