Good Morning! I have a Workbook with 39 sheet...

Good Morning! I have a Workbook with 39 sheets in it. Each sheet will reference

item in a separate sheet in another workbook which is a list of tasks, and the 39 sheets are checklists and comments at different stages of the task. Each row of the 39 sheets produces a different function in anther app and they all are stored in Google Drive.

What is the best way to make this work in Appsheet? Partitioning or Ref

Column.

Additionally,

when I watched videos for both I wasnโ€™t quite sure if I needed to add each sheet n the workbook as a Data table, or some other way. Concerned that the app would be too large, and I would not be able to expand functionality later. There are no formulas at this time, but considering adding them in a later version. Thank you!

0 4 390
4 REPLIES 4

First, I would like to say, I find your response condescending. and rude. Without having any idea of what i am building, you assumed I did something wrong. What would you offer corporate level partitioning for, if it wasnโ€™t to be able to have multiple sheets in a sing workbook to add data to say perhaps in a workflow?

Second, perhaps you could imagine I am building and running an Enterprise App where each table provides editable documentation, and uses more than Appsheet, which is only what makes it mobile. , Then maybe an enterprise would have more than 2 or 5 tables in a worksheet. Now, not to be rude in return to you,

I do appreciate you being thoughtful and sending me documents to read, as I am a continuous learner, and I can always tighten my structure in one way or another. But to assume, well you know what they say about that! Again Thank you!

Also I have been using and building apps on Appsheet for at least 3 years now, and portioning is a new feature, I was looking to explore as i AM NOT A NOVICE,

rather just skeptical of using them to soon.

Perhaps someone could actually provide an answer to my question, if they can have a broader mind, then displayed so far.

Wow! This is the first time I see someone gets offended when I send links to AppSheet documents; terms like โ€œI find this rudeโ€, and โ€œfound that condescendingโ€, or โ€œI am not noviceโ€, etc. are all ego talking, so it is not worth wasting our time on such argument.

I could only get these points from your above brief 4 line explanation:

• There are 39 sheets in one workbook containing checklists and comments at different stages of tasks - Each sheet references item in another sheet of tasks in a separate workbook - Each row in those 39 sheets produces a different function in anther app

Then you wanted a solution to whether go by Partitioning or Ref Column.

Well, that is not enough information to wrap my head around the situation, so I assumed a little more knowledge about app design and data modeling would not heart, especially because those articles were not available even before a year ago; nevertheless I am still not comfortable with the idea of 39 sheets in one workbook. Since I do not know any more details about the current design I cannot comment on a better solution, but if you think your current setup is fine and does not need to be changed, and you were just curious about partitioning and whether to use it or not, here is what I think:

Partitioning is more a solution to beat the limits of Google Sheet (2 million cells per workbook), so you will have virtually no limits to your database size while still using spreadsheet on the cloud as opposed to a database server. Even though partitioning allows for automatically switching to different sheets within a workbook, but that should not encourage you to consider several sheets in a workbook, in other words I would use AppSheetโ€™s partitioning to switch between separate workbooks defined by horizontal partitioning of data (rows), therefore limiting workbook size and more manageable spreadsheets; otherwise the original number of sheets inside each workbook should be inspired by database design and data model, then if one of those tables is growing very large, you can split it across multiple workbooks and your app will still consider that as single table taking advantage of partitioning feature.

Good luck.

@RezaRaoofi You wirds, not mine! "

I suspect you need to work on your design" The exolation you gave was what I wanted to confirm. Perhaps if you said that, before the other comment we would not have had to take it this way, but well it says even in the Appsheet videos about partionin that 20- 30 tables whether sheets or workbooks are used. They used sheets in one workbook in the video. I originally had separate workbook but decided for performance perhaps the one workbook would be best like they demonstrated in the webinar. They honestly designed it the same way I did, so perhaps your opinion on design should be shared with them and they would teach that wayโ€ฆ Just a thought. Either way, they said really design by workbooks

or worksheets would mostly effect performance if you have a lot if formulas running. I do not have formulas that run accept in 1 workbook also in the backend but not in that workbook. That work ok uses

just a few scripts. Habe no performance issues yet, however

it is still in development. Oh well. This was fun. I look forward to them changing the webinars based on your opinion of design. Until then, I thank you for your assistance, the tutorial docs

and confirmationโ€ฆ since I work in Enterprise Performance and Lifecycke Replacement it is good to see different ways people

look at design data and records

management. Also, I apprciate the well wishes, and duly wish the same to youโ€ฆ

Top Labels in this Space