"Reset on edit?" is not triggered by "Copy and edit" action?

Not sure if this is a bug, but I have a table for which I use the built-in “Copy this row and edit the copy” action, as I need to be able to duplicate a row multiple times but with the ability to edit each row (if necessary) before saving it.
However, as there is a single column in each row that I do not need to copy over, I hoped it would work by marking that column as “Reset on edit?” since this erases the content of the column when the row is edited, but apparently this reset is not triggered by the “Copy this row and edit the copy” action. In other words, when I select the action on a row, and I get into the form to edit the new row, the content of the column that was marked “Reset on edit?” is still there.

I was wondering if this was a bug or intentional and what I can do instead to make sure the column is reset on each copy?

Thanks in advance

Solved Solved
0 5 433
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I believe your observation is correct. I am unaware about if this is intended behavior.

However , as a workaround, you may wish to use the LINKTOFORM() type action instead.

However in this case , one needs to build the target form, one by one value from the record being copied. You can apply blank to the column that you wish to follow the reset on edit behavior after copying.

An example below. For “name 1” column , the value to be copied is blank. Whereas for “Color1” column, the value from existing record is copied.

LINKTOFORM(“Table1_Form”, “Name1”, “” , “Color1”, [Color1])

A sample app link is below. It copies from one table record to another. But one can copy and edit the form within the same table as well.

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/This-app-shows-how-to-link-to-a-form-and-fill-in-default-values?app...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I believe your observation is correct. I am unaware about if this is intended behavior.

However , as a workaround, you may wish to use the LINKTOFORM() type action instead.

However in this case , one needs to build the target form, one by one value from the record being copied. You can apply blank to the column that you wish to follow the reset on edit behavior after copying.

An example below. For “name 1” column , the value to be copied is blank. Whereas for “Color1” column, the value from existing record is copied.

LINKTOFORM(“Table1_Form”, “Name1”, “” , “Color1”, [Color1])

A sample app link is below. It copies from one table record to another. But one can copy and edit the form within the same table as well.

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/This-app-shows-how-to-link-to-a-form-and-fill-in-default-values?app...

Thank you for the suggestion, I’ll look into that!
Though it would make sense if the “Reset on edit” columns were indeed triggered by the action.

Reset on edit? is applied only for edits after the initial row creation. I suspect that when using the copy-and-edit action, the edit of the copy is treated as an initial row creation.

@Suvrutt_Gurjar’s suggestion is a good one.

That would indeed be a logical explanation! Thanks for the clarification

Is this and old post, but I had the same problem few days ago and @Steve logical explanation made me found a good solution.

If reset on edit is applied only for edits after the initial row creation we need the follow steps:

1. Add a new row to "another table" using values from this row "action" ("Another table" could be the same table)
  2. Open a form to edit this row "action" (The row created with the last action)
  3. Execute an action on a set of rows "action and use as a referenced action the "Step #2" and as Referenced Rows we can use Maxrow() due to our firs action added the last row, or you can use any other filter expresion
  4. Execute a sequence of action and use Step 1 and Step 3

When you execute this action first will add a new row and then this row will be opened so, Reset on Edit most be triggered.

I hope this could be useful.

Top Labels in this Space