Search computedname

Hello

I have a question related to the search function. I’m using the computedname field to join first and last names. This computed name is displayed on a table.

For example, I have a First name = “Paul”, Last name = “Jones”. ComputedName = “Paul Jones”.

When I search for Paul, I find the record, when I search for “Jones” I also find the record. But if I search for “Paul Jones” it does not find the record? Is this normal, the field is set to searchable.

Thanks
Paul!!

Solved Solved
1 14 268
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

It should show. I actually have the exact same setup with first name, last name and a virtual column. So first of all, when you are talking about the computedname field, are you meaning a virtual column? Can you provide a screenshot of the details for that column? Maybe there is something strange in there causing the issue.

I seem to have the same settings but using first name, middle name and last name. Yes it is a virtual column. Is it the space causing the problem in the search or does yours work?

In my example it works until you start typing the last name. So I have firstname = “Paul”, Lastname = “Jones”. Computedname = “Paul Jones”.

In the search bar, when I type Paul it finds Paul, when I type the space it still finds Paul but as soon as I type the J it finds nothing. If I type Paul Jones, it also finds nothing?

Please post a screenshot demonstrating the problem.

So I type Paul in the search and it filters as I would expect
3X_9_c_9c0f43064edab0976b30e515b24ed61b9986288d.png

But when I carry on typing ‘Paul J’ - there are no results?

See my comment above your last post

Your expression will be inserting two spaces if you exclude the middle name… Try searching with two spaces. Paul Jones

Grant, thank you that looks like the issue. If I search with two spaces it finds the record. When I look at the record it doesn’t look like it has 2 spaces?

Yeah, AppSheet tries to get smart with some of the spaces… There was another thread where this came up, the spaces…

Maybe appsheet should update their standard computed name expression

The computed name formula is -

CONCATENATE([FirstName]," “,[MiddleName],” ",[LastName])

But there are cases with no middle name so I guess I get 2 spaces as per the formula. In the table view it doesn’t look like there is an extra space?

Thanks Grant and Steve
I put the existing expression in TRIM as below and now it’s working as I’d expect.

TRIM(CONCATENATE([FirstName]," “,[MiddleName],” ",[LastName]))

Tramwork, makes the dream work!

Top Labels in this Space