Table View with Group Aggregate "Date" with format MMM-YYYY?

Hello everyone,

I think I know the answer already (“not supported”) but yet I want to ask.

This is somehow related to a previous question I had posted which was about how to format a Date column (see: Is it possible to display Date column values in a different format?)

At this point in my app, I have a table view that lists “EXPENSES”, and each row has a [Date] column.

I’ve created also a [Month] virtual column of type “Text” with this formula: TEXT([Date],“MMM-YYYY”) as it was the suggestion from the previous question (See link above). Also, this new virtual column is the “Label” for my table. The values in that column look like: “Jan-2021”, “Feb-2021”, “Mar-2021” and so on.

Then, I wanted to Group Aggregate the EXPENSES by this virtual column, but the issue that I have is that the group gets sorted “alphabetically” and not “chronologically”… (clearly, because the virtual column in the end is a “Text” and not a “Date”).

I’ve tried changing the type of the [Month] virtual column to be of “Date” type, and while in this case the sorting is correctly (chronological), the Group Aggregate instead of showing something like “Jan-2021” displays “1/1/2021”

So, my final objective would be to be able to have a Table with a Group Aggregate of type “Date” where the “Date” values in the Group Aggregate would be displayed in the “MMM-YYYY” format, while still keeping the “chronological” sorting.

Is it there any way to achieve this?

0 3 458
3 REPLIES 3

As per my understanding, it will not be possible. If you use date format, it will show like “1/1/2021” and if you group by month names- Year , it will sort alphabetically.

If you are willing to take a look at a workaround, not so visually elegant, then there may be a way.

Yes, that is what I though… so, I ended up doing a “hack”, like this:

CONCATENATE(
TEXT(
[_THISROW].[Date],“yyyymmdd”), // This is like a “Timestamp”
" (",
TEXT([_THISROW].[Month],“MMM-YYYY”),
“)”
)

The end result looks like this:

20210401 (Apr-2021)

It is not the prettiest, but it does the job.

Very good. Thank you for the update.

Top Labels in this Space