@LeventK Thanks again! I think I may not have explained my concern well enough.
If you allow the filename to be created with timestamp in the Workflow rule that generates the file from the template, there is no way to know what that filename will be beforehand because of the timestamp. So there would be no way to accurately record the filename into the Reports table for later. As far as i can tell, there also is no way to retrieve the filename created AFTER the file has been generated from the template.
So it seems A solution is:
- Disable Timestamp so its not added to the filename when file is generated from template.
- Manually create the filename (can include Now() to add timestamp)
- Store the created filename into the main record as say “Current Filename”.
- As discussed before, use Action from Workflow to add new row to Reports table with filename as “Current Filename”.
- Generate file from template with name as “Current Filename”.
While these steps could add the correct filename to the Reports table for viewing in the app, the potential issue with this approach is that should the file generation fail (bad template, connection problem, etc), the app will reflect a file that does not exist.
It is better to create the file first and then store the filename into the data afterwards. But I don’t see a way that can be accomplished. In the end, the risk of an issue is minimal and acceptable.
So, what are your thoughts? Is there a more minimal approach?