Continued latency issues?

Wondering if there are still lingering sync time issues for anyone else. I made no changes in the last few days to my app, but the sync times skyrocketed...

Ryan_Wagner_0-1689347293441.png

Solved Solved
0 4 193
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Ryan_Wagner wrote:

I've always suffered through long sync times, but only in the past couple of days has it started regularly taking a full minute.

Two more things I can add.

1) In the same Performance Analyzer view, there is a chart like the one below showing the top 10 poorest performing Virtual Columns.  Since VC's are what take up most of the Sync time, this chart is very good at helping to focus on those that are affecting the Sync's most.  VC's can often be re-implemented to eliminate its impact on the Sync time.

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 7.05.58 PM.png

2)  Also in the same log file, you can inspect the App Sync Time Spent.  But what I would recommend you check first is the Degree of Parallelism.  The higher the Degree, the more processed at once and the faster the Sync.  The most I have seen is 10 but I think they even go higher.  Non-Deployed apps are typically 2.  I think typical Core Plan apps are 3 or 4.  If yours is between 4 and 10 on your Enterprise plan, you might check what is required to bump that up.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Be aware that the previous days in that chart are not reflecting actual results - only zero.  I don't know if that is a bug or if that prior days info is only available in certain plans?

having pointed that out, the average time reflect for App Sync in this chart IS very high.  Do you happen to know what the average was before the 14th?

There are a number of things that could account for the spike:

• You said no app changes.  could there have been a push of prior app changes out to all users?
  • Any major increase of data being downloaded such as a load from an external source?  Or maybe a Security Filter threshold reached that allows more data into the app?
  • Are ALL users experiencing long Sync times?  Remember this is an average.  If you have 2 groups of users at 2 different physical locations and one of those locations suffers poor connections, the Syncs for that location will also suffer and the average is skewed.

If everything seems to check out then I would raise this to Appsheet support if you haven't already.  It could be an issue with one one of their servers so only a few App Creator are impacted.

Thanks for the thorough response, @WillowMobileSys . 

I'm on the Enterprise Plan, and I'm sure I've seen information on previous days before, but yes, that's strange that the previous days are now showing as zeroes. I don't have anything filtered on the analysis page...

I've always suffered through long sync times, but only in the past couple of days has it started regularly taking a full minute. My crew of seven use the app in the field every weekday, and that comes with a lot of syncs to stay on top of things, so I doubt anyone just in the last two days became current with a new version I would have made days ago...They are all experiencing long wait times, and that's across a fifty mile range in a major city. Wifi, cell signal, ipad, phone, desktop...No recent changes to my data sources, either.

I may reach out to support. 

Thanks again!

@Ryan_Wagner wrote:

I've always suffered through long sync times, but only in the past couple of days has it started regularly taking a full minute.

Two more things I can add.

1) In the same Performance Analyzer view, there is a chart like the one below showing the top 10 poorest performing Virtual Columns.  Since VC's are what take up most of the Sync time, this chart is very good at helping to focus on those that are affecting the Sync's most.  VC's can often be re-implemented to eliminate its impact on the Sync time.

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 7.05.58 PM.png

2)  Also in the same log file, you can inspect the App Sync Time Spent.  But what I would recommend you check first is the Degree of Parallelism.  The higher the Degree, the more processed at once and the faster the Sync.  The most I have seen is 10 but I think they even go higher.  Non-Deployed apps are typically 2.  I think typical Core Plan apps are 3 or 4.  If yours is between 4 and 10 on your Enterprise plan, you might check what is required to bump that up.

Good luck!

I did some more digging around and isolated the problem. One of the connections in my app is to an SQL database that for some reason was working fine until this past week. According to the performance analyzer, that is adding a huge amount of time to syncs. I removed the data source in a copy of the app and it brought me back to a normal time. 

Thanks again for all the info.

Top Labels in this Space