Expensive? - ORDERBY(REF_ROWS(), [datetime_column], TRUE)

How much weight would this add, should I construct it differently?
ORDERBY(REF_ROWS(), [datetime_column], TRUE)

0 23 1,016
23 REPLIES 23

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Beware:

Gotcha, I usually try and leave it alone because of this…

So what is a good way to order a REF_ROW? I have multiple dropdowns for employees, zones, locations, departments, positions, etc and they are all in the order added to our database. I would like them in ascending order.

Thanks.

This isn’t related to the auto-generated REF_ROWS column.
To change the order of the items in the dropdowns on your Ref-type columns, you should use an ORDERBY expression in valid_if.

Assuming these are Ref-type columns, this is a key vs label situation. You just need to change which column in the referenced table is set as the Label.

Awesome! This worked by using: ORDERBY(Employee[id], [name])
In the Valif If section.

3X_7_e_7ee1498dbdbe8fb3c2595c3cb3c5df132ceb93ca.png

Is there any way to display more? Changing the label displays the vehicle now, but since we operate in multiple states, you don’t want to assign a vehicle from another location.

Also… THANK YOU! I appreciate this.

Read the article I linked

HOW I MISSED THAT IS BEYOND ME! LOLLLL

Thank you

Create a Virtual Column and concatenate the info that you want to show as a label in your dropdown and set this Virtual column as the label for that table. .i.e.
[State]&"-"&[VehicleName]

Ok cool, thanks @LeventK

@wrodriguez you’re welcome, it’s my pleasure. Kudos should go to @Marc_Dillon

@LeventK @Marc_Dillon

Not sure if I missed something.

I crated a virtual column and added the expression below:

3X_d_f_df6efe1ce57de01cdfdd8600809a629bbc6d55e6.png

I made it the label and made sure nothing else was marked as a label.

The dropdown now only shows the VIN.

Should I be referencing that table instead of a view of that table?

Can you post a screenshot from your table’s structure please?

Aw man that would be like 6-7 screenshots. One moment.

I’m interested only with the table that contains your location and vehicle type/name table.

Yea that is the main table that holds all of our vehicles.

This is the column from FleetRequest I am needing the vehicle from VehicleAsset:

This is the slice:

[Vehicle] virtual column is missing in your slice column setup. As the label column is missing, it’s showing the Key column value only, which is your VIN number.

This was the final touch.

Much appreciated. You sir are a gentleman and a scholar lol

Thanks

Glad to hear that your problem is solved. You’re welcome, it’s my pleasure.

Glad you’re back bud! Missed ya!

I also would like to be able to pick what is displayed in the dropdown. I have one that is referencing a slice that shows specific things, but the dropdown only shows the key for the table.

It basically shows available vehicles so we can assign one to a request. The dropdown shows the key, which is the VIN. No way to know what kinda vehicle it is.

Okay it looks like it works if I don’t use the slice. I don’t think the CONCATENATE is passed on through the slice. Maybe I can just use something else to narrow it down instead of the slice.

Top Labels in this Space