Expression to avoid entering of the barcode not from the given list

NNN

Hi, I have a field for barcode scanning (I use a usb scanner). I need to prevent a user from entering a barcode which is not in the list (column Barcode, Table โ€˜Itemsโ€™). I tried Data Validity (Valid if=), but it gives me a drop-down list in the field for barcode scanner.
Could you show me the direction, please?

Solved Solved
0 8 476
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Could you try a valid_if condition something like

IN([_THIS], Items[Barcode])

Thank you for your answer. I tried to use your advice, but I get a dropdown list in that field with all the barcodes I have. And I use this field to scan barcodes with a usb barcode scanner.
Is there any other option to forbid entering of the barcodes which are not in the list?

Please share the screenshot of that columnโ€™s settings

Here are the settings of the column for barcode scanner:

and

I hope this is the wight way to show the columnโ€™s settingsโ€ฆ

Thank you. In the shared images by you, there is no valid_if setting. Basically, we wanted to know how you have entered the valid_if formula since the query is related to Valid_if.

The use of valid_if in bar code scanning is common. Even though in your case , I am unsure how the USB connected scanner will behave and if it has any specific additional settings etc.
Please refer to the post below wherein a barcode scanner Valid_if is used. The valid_if expression is different but just wanted to share that valid_if setting is common for barcodes. If it is meant to return YES/ No result, it should not display a list. The expression I requested, results into a YES/No result.

Thank you for your answer. I examined the Valid_If Column Constraint article and the use of the function IN(). Unfortunately, I couldnโ€™t find another example for my problem. And again when I use the valid_if condition IN([_THIS], Items[Barcode]) I still get a dropdown list. Here are the screenshots. The valid_if condition is set only for the first field BARKOD 1:

And here are the columnโ€™s settings with the valid_in condition:

Yes! Thank you very much for this link to the similar question. The adding of AND() is a solution of โ€œvalid_ifโ€ without a dropdown list.

AND(IN([_THIS], Items[Barcode]), TRUE)

Top Labels in this Space