Hello everyone! I have a small issue on my ap...

Hello everyone! I have a small issue on my app that Iโ€™m working on. Bear with me as Iโ€™m going to explain what it is.

My app is a database app gathering details of patients in our unit. Its parent table is the โ€œPersonal Detailsโ€ table. It has multiple child tables referenced to it. So when the user fills out the personal details of a patient, user gets several referencing virtual columns linked to these child tables, so that the user can fill out the rest of the patientโ€™s details separately (ie: โ€œClinical Detailsโ€, โ€œBlood Investigationsโ€, โ€œImaging and Biopsyโ€, โ€œMDT Decisionsโ€, โ€œDiagnosisโ€, โ€œManagementโ€ etc.) and they get saved in different tables inside the main spreadsheet. This is the basic model of my app.

Now to give a background understanding of the problem Iโ€™m havingโ€ฆ

When the user goes to fill out the โ€œImaging and Biopsyโ€ table, the user gets a drop down Enumlist from which the user can select any type of imaging. โ€˜Diagnostic ERCPโ€™ is one such imaging modality. When the user selects โ€˜Diagnostic ERCPโ€™, the following columns appear - โ€˜Date of Diagnostic ERCPโ€™, โ€˜Summary of Diagnostic ERCPโ€™, โ€˜Post-ERCP Complicationsโ€™, and a virtual column for the โ€œERCP Image Uploadโ€ child table so that the user can upload several images under ERCP. To get this to work, I have setup a child table called โ€œERCP Image Uploadโ€ that is referenced to the โ€œImaging and Biopsyโ€ table, so now the parent table is โ€œImaging and Biopsyโ€ and the child table is โ€œERCP Image Uploadโ€. Inside the ERCP Image Upload table, I have set up an โ€˜ERCPKeyโ€™ column, an Image type column for uploading the image, and a ref type column called โ€˜Diagnostic ERCPโ€™, where I have selected โ€œImaging and Biopsyโ€ as the ReferencedTableName, and I have set up the โ€˜IsAPartOfโ€™ to โ€œTRUEโ€ so that it creates that referencing virtual column inside the โ€œImaging and Biopsyโ€ table. Since โ€œImaging and Biopsyโ€ table is a child table of โ€œPersonal Detailsโ€ parent table, inside the โ€œImaging and Biopsyโ€ table, I have set up its own key column called โ€˜InBKeyโ€™ and another column called โ€˜Imaging & Biopsy_Refโ€™ which is the Ref type column that is referenced to the โ€œPersonal Detailsโ€ table. This is working perfectly for me as intended.

Now to the problem Iโ€™m havingโ€ฆ

As I told earlier, there are multiple other child tables referenced to the parent table โ€œPersonal Detailsโ€, and another such child table is โ€œManagementโ€ table. Inside this โ€œManagementโ€ table, the user gets to select whether the patient is being managed โ€œsurgicallyโ€ or โ€œnon-surgicallyโ€. So if the user selects โ€œNon-surgical managementโ€, the user gets a virtual column referenced to a child table called โ€œNon-surgical managementโ€ (now the parent is โ€œManagementโ€ table and the child is โ€œNon-surgical managementโ€). Inside this โ€œNon-surgical managementโ€ table, user has many non-surgical options to select, out of which โ€œTherapeutic ERCPโ€ is one option. When the user selects this, the following columns show up - โ€˜Date of therapeutic ERCPโ€™, โ€˜Summary of therapeutic ERCPโ€™, โ€˜Post-ERCP complicationsโ€™ (pretty much like when the user selects the โ€˜Diagnostic ERCPโ€™ option from the โ€œImaging and Biopsyโ€ table earlier). Just like with โ€˜Diagnostic ERCPโ€™ inside the โ€œImaging and Biopsyโ€ table, I wanted the user to be able to upload images under this โ€˜therapeutic ERCPโ€™ as well. Since I have already created an โ€œERCP Image Uploadโ€ table referenced to the โ€œImaging and Biopsyโ€ table earlier, I thought I should be able to use that same โ€œERCP Image Uploadโ€ table for this as well. So I created a ref type column called โ€˜Therapeutic ERCPโ€™ inside that โ€œERCP Image Uploadโ€ table and selected the โ€œNon-surgical managementโ€ table as the โ€˜ReferencedTableNameโ€™ to it and set โ€˜IsAPartOfโ€™ to โ€œTRUEโ€ inside that, so that I get an โ€œERCP Image Uploadโ€ virtual column inside the โ€œNon-surgical managementโ€ table when the user selects โ€˜Therapeutic ERCPโ€™. This too worked for me as I wanted!

BUT, since Iโ€™m still working on in my app, Iโ€™m making many changes to the app elsewhere, and whenever I make some other change to the app absolutely unrelated to what I told above, and everytime I save changes to my app, the โ€œTRUEโ€ in the โ€˜IsAPartOfโ€™ inside the โ€˜Therapeutic ERCPโ€™ ref type column gets changed to โ€œFALSEโ€!! So inside the app, I donโ€™t see the โ€˜ERCP Image Uploadโ€™ virtual column under โ€˜therapeutic ERCPโ€™. But inside the โ€œImaging and Biopsyโ€ table, the โ€˜ERCP Image Uploadโ€™ virtual column always appears, because the โ€˜IsAPartOfโ€™ in โ€˜Diagnostic ERCPโ€™ ref type column does not change to โ€œFALSEโ€ like it does with โ€˜Therapeutic ERCPโ€™. So every time before I save changes to the app, I have to head over to the โ€œERCP Image Uploadโ€ tableโ€™s columns and REselect โ€œTRUEโ€ for โ€˜IsAPartOfโ€™ for the โ€˜Therapeutic ERCPโ€™ Ref type column. Why does this happen?

Sorry for the long read. I wanted you to get an exact idea of the issue that Iโ€™m facing, so I had to type in everything.

Happy New Year to all of you at AppSheet!

0 5 367
5 REPLIES 5

Letโ€™s get this explanation little bit shorter:) You have TableC for images and you want this TableC would be a child table for two different tables, TableA and TableB. Correct?

@Aleksi_Alkio Exactly! Pardon the long explanation.

I was able to reproduce the problem with a test app. I need to talk with our developers if there is a reason for this behavior.

@Aleksi_Alkio Thank you. Hoping to hear a solution

At this moment this behavior is unfortunately by desing. If you like, you could request this from hereโ€ฆ www.appsheet.com/feature-requests

Top Labels in this Space