Housekeeping

Hi
Just wondering what the best option is for housekeeping with images.
My App collects images and forwards via an email. Once they are sent to the recipient they are no longer required.
I am aware we can delete the data from the table but how do other users delete the actual images so saving on storage space?

1 5 280
5 REPLIES 5

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @Dave_Willett

I would use Apps Script in order to delete images from the folder, provided their names are no longer found in the data table.
Iโ€™m afraid itโ€™s hard to deal with it.

Thanks @Aurelien

One option is to use AppSheetโ€™s new feature of folder as table. Once you create a table based on folders of your images, you can delete them from the app. Though please note the following

1. The images go to the trash folder of the G drive . G drive trash anyway gets emptied automatically after every 30 dyas.

2. The image reference from the other tables is not removed. So if you have image path stored in some other Appsheet table when you captured the image through app, that path will continue to remain intacts. You can set up some automation to delete the image paths as well when the images are deleted from the folder table or viceversa.

3. The images should not be โ€œRequiredโ€ fields in the tables from where those are deleted.

I tested the above by including an image folder as a table and deleted the image files fromthe app. I also deleted the image paths in the tables where these were referred with the help of actions. Extensive testing though will show any cracks in the approach.

Thanks Suvrutt, very useful.
Iโ€™ll study this in detail.

You are welcome. Please take a look at the Tips and tricks section below tip at your convenience.

Top Labels in this Space