How do I de-refernce a value from the row returned with MAXROW()?

Just thinking this must be simpler.

I am cycling through a set of Actions to insert a computed number of Teams. So, I know the number of teams to add and to determine if I have inserted the correct number, I am tracking a Team # value. Once this Team # matches my expected number of team to be inserted, I know I am done.

With each iteration, I want to grab the Team row with the maximum Team # and then simply add 1 to it.

I can get the maximum Team # row like so:

MAXROW("Teams", "Team #", [Challenge] = [_THISROW].[Challenge ID])

This returns a row reference to that Team row. Is there some straight-forward way to dereference the Team # value from row reference?

So far the best I could figure out is that I need to do the below but it seem unnecessarily repetitive.

ANY(SELECT(Teams[Team #], 
     [Team ID] = MAXROW("Teams", "Team #", [Challenge] = [_THISROW].[Challenge ID]))
) + 1
0 10 363
10 REPLIES 10

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Nope.

I agree with your observation to be able to do something like:

(Function Ref Result).[Ref table column]

The funny thing is that the parser already supports this!!

And I don’t think it would take much to then include:

[Ref Column].[Ref Column].[Ref Column]...[Column_I_Want]

I fairly certain this construct is supported in the source code used to build out the AppSheet platform. It’s just a matter of tapping into it from expressions.

In that it doesn’t complain about it. That doesn’t mean it supports it. There are at least several constructs the parser allows but doesn’t support. For instance:

table[column1].[column2]

Not supported, but allowed by the parser. Equivalent to:

[column1].[column2]

In fact, the table name there is completely ignored. You could put literally any word there, table name or not.

Yeah that’s really what I meant.

Chaining of refs is already here. But it won’t work from a MAXROW() (It has to be a legit ref (or maybe enum-ref would work).

I’ve not played with ref chaining much - I always forget it’s a thing

Praveen’s answer is classic (^_^)

Yeah, we need the ability to deference from any singularly returned Key value.

Definitely will save a lot of coding effort to be able to utilize such a capability.

Awesome! I have a use case right now to try it out.

Been out since Nov? I’m not even going to think of all the work around code and extra columns I added in the past several months simply because I THOUGHT I couldn’t chain references!! I know there were several.

Oh well, c’est la vie! … and software development!!

Oh man… for real

3X_a_d_ad3e9ac0a27a3a582b45269cfe7094a4f2789d5c.gif

EVERY time I come back to the thought that we can do this now, I’m like… ugh. SOOOOO much updating work to be done.

Top Labels in this Space