Is it possible to make app sheet keep spacing...

Is it possible to make app sheet keep spacing or forcing text to next line?

I am also interested if it is possible to create error if valid if is violated.

0 25 1,878
25 REPLIES 25

May I ask before where do you need that forcing? In a single value… workflow etc…

You can create your own error message with the virtual column.

@Aleksi_Alkio ahhha the answer is away in a virtual column or concatenate something.

I am using it as part of a sign-up form, I’m making my customers use a Google account because I’m using their email address inside of numerous different primary keys that store info that I can use in other apps.

@Aleksi_Alkio thank you for your help, I can’t seem to get it to work, space here space there, nothing seems to work. I got it to work in text In a show column, just not in other column, I will try putting it in description field tonight.

Check if this would help to understand the format…

CONCATENATE(“Email Address”,"space ",“space “,”(must be @google.com)”)

@Aleksi_Alkio

I am 95% sure I tried that but I will

try It tonight thanks again for your help.

@Aleksi_Alkio I still couldn’t get it to work, but it’s ok I am not going to use app sheet for the sign up form for my app, I am most likely going to use a Wordpress plugin form that allows for me to set up reoccurring debits.

Do you think it matters that I am using the display name field?

Thank you for your help

May I ask what is the app name, your Appsheet account and from where I can find this expression. If that’s okay for you.

SignUpForm-369532,

369532, Seller Email in row two in the display name field.

Okay… the reason is the "Display name " option. Because you want to see the explanation on the form, you should add it into to “Description” field.

Thank you so much

You’re welcome

It worked, but I have to say that is difficult to figure out, I can’t stand not understanding how things work, Cheers! Dan

@Aleksi_Alkio Thank you Translate

You can use “Display name” but because it will show the value in a table view as a header, you can’t have line breaks (we are showing only one row for the header). When you type that expression into the “Description”, it will show it only on the form view and that’s why the line breaks are working.

If you use only “Display name”, it will show it on both (views and form). If you use both options, the “Description” will overwrite the “Display name” value.

That makes a lot of sense, I really appreciate the explanation. I don’t mean this to be critical, but how would someone like me(more will than skill) learn that, is it possible to have the system throw up a warning letting me know that app sheet is truncating or removing spaces, why and how to make it work.

If I missed this warning I am going to feel really silly.

Have a great day and thank you again.

You are not throwing criticism… it’s from the real world

Which one? The line spacing or the error message?

It won’t be a pop up like I would have liked, but a large text red virtual column should be enough to inform the customer that they need to change and read the instructions.

@Aleksi_Alkio

I still don’t understand spaces. I am looking for increased spacing to give the impression it is title then a description.

Example :Distributor ID/ Customer ID (this is established by the producer/manufacturer)" I would like a new line for the (…) part.

CONCATENATE (“Distributor ID/ Customer ID”,"

“,”(this is established by the producer/manufacturer)")

@Aleksi_Alkio

Is it possible to force a new line or multiple spaced because when I tried using concatenation it removed all but one space?

Try use Ideographic Space ’ ', to me work in headers. I don’t now if in other behavior works.
http://emptycharacter.com/

CONCATENATE (“Distributor ID/ Customer ID”,"

“,”

“,”(this is established by the producer/manufacturer)")

@Aleksi_Alkio I think I am missing something

CONCATENATE(“Email Address”," “,” “,”(must be @google.com)

Gives the result I am looking for in the expression builder but in the form view in app sheet it end up being:

"Email Address (must be @google.com)

Hi @Daniel_Armstrong!

I think I’ve had problems like this and what I did was to put the following in a column in my spreadsheet so that I could then use that column (perhaps with a name like “[Line change]” in a concatenate expression:

"
"

Though you can’t see it, there’s a space after the first quotation mark and that is followed by a return.

I didn’t something similar to get directional quotations marks into my app:

Here’s a related trick I used to place an extra line before a “header” that looks like this:

2X_e_e6da3f679fe2203b4ca0709d331b1848094e5311.png

The “W to D” line is as follows:

2X_a_afe1a7f9e235d4cd9cfa5ff2b1808415af65b135.png

I’ve turned off the little heading that normally would appear on top of this text as follows:

2X_b_b8a08069ffab8e8d0ccc2609f4bc404c6275ae8a.png

Try wit this one and please aware of the space like

Address","space

CONCATENATE(“Email Address”,"

“,”

“,”(must be @google.com)")

Top Labels in this Space