Link to Network File

Is it possible to link to a file stored on a network drive from within AppSheet? So when the user clicks the link, a network stored file or folder is opened?

This would be a web browser based app running on a PC rather than a mobile device.

0 6 482
6 REPLIES 6

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

You can link to any arbitrary URL using a column of type Show with a Category of Url.

See also:

@Steve, thank you for taking the time to respond.

I should have worded my inquiry differently. I would like a link to open either local files on the user’s computer or a file stored within the user’s intranet (network attached drive).

It seems AppSheet will only open files stored in the source file system of the spreadsheet.

Unless I’m missing something in the links you referred, opening local files doesn’t seem possible?

I haven’t tried the file-type URL with AppSheet myself, so I can’t say it’ll work, but URLs can reference local files. Give it a try!

The file-type may work but, if the host name is omitted from the link, per the standard the localhost is assumed, leading to a 404 error. AppSheet looks to the file system where the spreadsheet is stored i.e. google drive. Specifying “localhost” leads to a ‘Bad Request’ page.

Do you have a suggestion as to how one would refer to the localhost machine of the user?

file://host/file

I’m afraid I have no other suggestions.

Thank you Steve.I sincerely appreciate your help.

Top Labels in this Space