Link to Network File

Is it possible to link to a file stored on a network drive from within AppSheet? So when the user clicks the link, a network stored file or folder is opened?

This would be a web browser based app running on a PC rather than a mobile device.

0 6 481
6 REPLIES 6

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

You can link to any arbitrary URL using a column of type Show with a Category of Url.

See also:

@Steve, thank you for taking the time to respond.

I should have worded my inquiry differently. I would like a link to open either local files on the userโ€™s computer or a file stored within the userโ€™s intranet (network attached drive).

It seems AppSheet will only open files stored in the source file system of the spreadsheet.

Unless Iโ€™m missing something in the links you referred, opening local files doesnโ€™t seem possible?

I havenโ€™t tried the file-type URL with AppSheet myself, so I canโ€™t say itโ€™ll work, but URLs can reference local files. Give it a try!

The file-type may work but, if the host name is omitted from the link, per the standard the localhost is assumed, leading to a 404 error. AppSheet looks to the file system where the spreadsheet is stored i.e. google drive. Specifying โ€œlocalhostโ€ leads to a โ€˜Bad Requestโ€™ page.

Do you have a suggestion as to how one would refer to the localhost machine of the user?

file://host/file

Iโ€™m afraid I have no other suggestions.

Thank you Steve.I sincerely appreciate your help.

Top Labels in this Space