Need help with a date select expression

Hey folks, I help with an expression Iโ€™m having trouble with writing.

I have an application for managing weekly schedules for people on duty.

I have two tables.

A SCHEDULE table - how a list of weekdays listing which user is assigned to which day.
(Jane has Mondayโ€™s date, Mark has Tues. date, etc.).
[User] - list the user
[Day] - list the date of the weekday

A SHIFT table - listing specific days user has traded
(Jane covering Tues. 2/4/20, Mark covering Fri. 2/7/20 etc. )
[User] - list the user
[Request Start] - list the date the shift starts
[Request End] - list the date the shift ends
[Trade?] - list if they need to trade

I need an Action expression that grabs the userโ€™s next scheduled date from the SCHEDULE table and add it to the SHIFT table if the date is not already in there.

(In English, If the user wants to trade a shift that hasnโ€™t already requested, their next scheduled shifts will be automatically added in the SHIFT table entry.)

Hereโ€™s what i wrote as an action in the SHIFTS tale

MIN(SELECT(Schedule[Day], 

AND([Day] >= [_THISROW].[Shift Start],

[Day] <= [_THISROW].[Shift End],

[User] = [_THISROW].[User],

[Trade?] = "Yes",

)))

I wrote is as โ€œIf the user indicated they want to trade, select the userโ€™s next scheduled date from the Schedule Table. Filter the value by the date after the user Request Start field and before the Request End fieldโ€

However, itโ€™s grabbing the wrong date. Iโ€™ve been stuck for a while and could use some assistance. Is anyone willing to lend a hand?

Solved Solved
0 14 564
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Steve @Aleksi

Just a follow up guys. I figured it out

NOT(IN([Next Shift], The Shifts[Nom Shift]))

This omits every date in the Schedule sheet that was already in the Shift sheet.

Therefore i get the usersโ€™ earliest date not already covered in the โ€œVacayโ€ entry, as expected.

Without this, i was getting the Moderatorโ€™s earliest date, covered or not.

I sent a screenshot of the result.

In any case, just wanted to let you guys know how I solved it.

2X_4_49658a028d1df77aa1c12d0efe27bcb90365362f.png

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Is it because you have [Shift Start] twice?

@Aleksi sorry that was a copy/paste error. I updated the code accordingly.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

In what way is the date wrong?

@Steve See image below.

1.โ€œthemiclangeloโ€'s next scheduled date should be 2/1/20. Instead, Itโ€™s grabbing 1/29/2020, the next date on the list

1. โ€œIGBostonโ€ should be blank as itโ€™s not in the scheduled list at all

So it seems itโ€™s not filtering the date by the user who made the Shift entry

Please provide View Data screenshots of the Schedule and Shift tables that include the columns youโ€™ve mentioned in your original post.

@Steve here you go.

2X_0_0ea3f4997e9025b77e9dd057f79617011249d264.png

@Steve sorry, typing error. But thatโ€™s not the issue.

FYI, i renamed the values and fields to make this easier to explain on here, so i may have accidentally mistyped while i explained it.

the code runs, itโ€™s just giving me the wrong value.

@Steve For a bit of context, see the new screenshot.

This is what the Shifts spreadsheet looks like when I add a new row.

In the Schedule table, themiclangeloโ€™s dates are listed for 1/29/20, 2/1/20 & 2/4/20

In the Shiftsโ€™ table, themiclangelo indicated to trade all his scheduled dates from 1/29/20 to 2/7/20
(See Row #3)

So I want to create an action that, when pressed, will in the earliest date themiclangelo scheduled for. (in this this case, it would be 1/29/20

The two rows in this screenshot show the result of that action.

Row #4 worked as expected; it input 1/29/20 as the Shift Start and Shift End date.

However, Row #5 still input 1/29/20, when it should have put 2/1/20

It seems the [User] = [_THISROW].[User] rule is not recognized when the action is pressed, which would pull themiclangelo next earliest date. Instead, itโ€™s inputting the earliest overall date.

Essentially. I need to know is how modify my current code to filter out a user from another sheet using an action.

I hope this makes sense. I know it sounds complicated. Let me if you have any questions.

Is there a Trade? column in Schedule?

Please also post a screenshot of the actionโ€™s expression rather than the transcription above.

@Steve No, the "Schedule table does not. Thatโ€™s just used as a check to run the action

I pasted the actual expression. (It was too cumbersome to rename the columns. โ€œModerator = Userโ€)

But i need a just function that gives me a filtered list of all the Moderators in โ€œThe Schedulerโ€ table based on a Moderator field in โ€œThe Shiftsโ€ table.

Thatโ€™s the part of the code Iโ€™ve having trouble with.

The original expression you posted is entirely different from this screenshot. In the future, I encourage you to always post the actual expression. The expression you posted originally looked good to me, so Iโ€™ve been confused why it hasnโ€™t worked for you. The expression in the screenshot, though, is obviously bad.

@Steve this is the current version of the expression,

I was trying some other ideas since it seems there was no clear solution to the original version.

I pasted the original one below (i just renames some of the columns). However, It gives me the exact same result

Yes, I know the current one is bad, which is why I was still asking for help.

Sorry for the earlier confusion. I was hoping to explain the scenario as simple as possible.

But in any case, no need to worry about this anymore. It seems what Iโ€™m asking for is a bit too complex to keep asking yall for help. So Iโ€™ll figure something else out.

@Steve @Aleksi

Just a follow up guys. I figured it out

NOT(IN([Next Shift], The Shifts[Nom Shift]))

This omits every date in the Schedule sheet that was already in the Shift sheet.

Therefore i get the usersโ€™ earliest date not already covered in the โ€œVacayโ€ entry, as expected.

Without this, i was getting the Moderatorโ€™s earliest date, covered or not.

I sent a screenshot of the result.

In any case, just wanted to let you guys know how I solved it.

2X_4_49658a028d1df77aa1c12d0efe27bcb90365362f.png

Top Labels in this Space