Offline trouble with iPhones only?

I am testing my app in offline mode (both starting w/o connectivity, and using when connectivity drops) and everything works fine when installed on an Android device.

However, on iPhone it works if the app is already open when losing connectivity, but it will not start up without syncing.  Is this a known issue?  Have other people seen this, and if so, is there a workaround?

Thanks

Solved Solved
1 25 1,438
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, I have verified the problem is fixed.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I don't have an iPhone, so I can't address this directly, but you should be able to cancel out of the initial sync.

I actually don't have an iPhone either, but I was working with two users who do, and when the sync failed they could not use the app.

Well, hmm! I'm afraid I have nothing else to offer. Please consider engaging Support.

https://www.appsheet.com/Support/Contact

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Just to make sure we're clear here, both of these options are ON for the app, yes?

Steve_0-1651085148376.png

Yes, every option on the Offline/Sync tab is turned on.

Yep, I'm gonna have to direct you to Support.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I asked internally. I'm told this is a known problem. No ETA on a fix. The work-around is to ensure the app is open and synced before going offline.

Hmm, that is unfortunate, but thanks for looking into this.

Thanks @Steve. I can give a bit more context: The ability to launch the app offline from a fully closed state is currently broken specifically in iOS version 15+. We're working on a fix for this now as a high priority, but I'm guessing it will take a week or two to get it completed, tested and rolled out. For anyone still on iOS 14, we'd recommend waiting to upgrade if offline launch is needed. As Steve mentioned, leaving the app open in the background when not in use (i.e. avoid force-closing it) appears to be a workaround for those already affected.

Is this problem fixed yet? Either Yes or No are better than nothing.  

Yes, I have verified the problem is fixed.

The fix took longer than expected, but we finished the rollout at the end of last week. We believe offline launch should now be working again for the main AppSheet app. Shortcuts added to home screen do still require network access and will need some follow-up work to support offline use, but if offline switching between apps is needed it can be done through app gallery or navigate actions.

Hi @Adam-google 

I'm not sure this is properly resolved still. I'm using iPhone 12 Pro (iOS 15.6.1) and even after reinstalling, I can't get either the App short cut or the main AppSheet app to open in Airplane Mode. Is there possibly still a problem?

Many thanks

Rich

@LeventK 

Hi Adam,

Update on this. I have managed to get it to work but only with the main AppSheet shortcut. However, it doesn't work first time every time. Maybe 2 or 3 times before it loads.

Also is there still work being done to get the individual App shortcuts to work?

Many thanks

Rich

@LeventK 

Hi, I can safely add that myself and 2 of my users, on iPhones are still having offline issues, mainly app randomly giving the "App could not be loaded, please ensure you have internet connectivity" error in between offline uses (the app was being used and not closed).

Very frustrating on our end as we work mainly in remote areas

Sep-15-2022 07-51-59.gif

Edit : Gif !

Has this changed since iOS16 rolled out ? many (well, all the iphone users) are experiencing apps not loading when offline, or crashing and loosing data when transitionning from online to offline scenarios

I'm going to add information to this thread, I've found out that as soon as you turn off internet connectivity, and close the app completely, you can't restart it, even if the app is set to be able to start offline, here's a few shots :

App SettingsApp Settings

GIF of the app not loading when offlineGIF of the app not loading when offline

Hopefully this makes it's way to the engineering team, as this is breaking the app functionality in my case

4 months of postings here and seemingly no progress on this fatal error. 

We have dozens of iPhone users in the National Forest who rely on off line use.

They must launch from an app icon not AppSheet icon.  That's because they have  2 different apps installations. 

Bob

Yes, launching from shortcuts is even worse ! Not working at all

Please contact AppSheet Support for help with this.

Attn @Aleksi @Rob_Just

Hi Steve,

iโ€™ve also contacted support a few days ago, but wanted to add info here for others to see

thanks โ˜บ๏ธ 

I counted support over a month ago and have received eight emails from them saying that you are still working on this problem. Can you be more specific about why this is taking so long? 

7 months - no fix. Could we please have an explanation?

My September posting notes that there were 4 months of postings here with no fix. So I sent a request to AppSheet support on Sept 16: "iOS apps do not launch off line from the custom app icon, which is a requirement when using 2 or more apps off line." Since then I've had 3 months of replies from AppSheet support saying:  "Please be informed that our team needs more time for investigation".

I've had mostly the same thing, no answers from support, just a few emails
every few months to say "Hey, are you still having the issue?"

It's been very very long

According to Appsheet, it does not support real-time updates due to its offline capability. So, what happens now? ๐Ÿ˜

Top Labels in this Space