Publisher pro with user sign in

aville

Hello,
I made a simple app with Publisher pro account. But this app requires user sign in.
If i publish this app, How many different users can sign in? Do i have any limitation?

0 15 2,073
15 REPLIES 15

First, to answer the question, let’s decouple the subscription and app type.

1. App type: in AppSheet, you can have apps that require user sign-in (let’s call them secure) and that do not require user sign-in (public).
  2. Publisher Pro is a subscription (we also have Premium and Pro). Requiring user sign-in is a feature that is covered only by Premium and Pro plans - it is not covered by Publisher Pro.

After publishing a secure app on Publisher Pro plan, you will see an error asking you to upgrade to Premium or Pro subscription, and purchase a license for each of your users. If you would like to stay on the Publisher Pro plan, you will need to disable user sign-in feature for your app before publishing.

You can also use your app for free with up to 10 users if you choose to leave it in prototype.

Buenas tardes.
¿Es posible mantener una app en publisher pro y construyo un pseudo login? En ese caso puedo controlar quien entra y quien no mediante ese procedimiento?
(Obvio que hablamos de una app con datos no sensibles).
Saludos.
(Traducción / translate de google a continuación:
Good afternoon.
Is it possible to have an app in publisher pro and build a pseudo login? In that case, can I control who enters and who does not through this procedure?
(Obviously we are talking about an app with non-sensitive data).
Greetings

Did you get it some information about you response? I'm trying to share an app for more than 10 users with an small user settings login. Without paying $10 bucks for user/ month.

You can't.  User sign in requires core plan and up.

Yu may want to check the post of @MultiTech some time back showing how you can use the Context () Device ID and link it to a specific user email.

I've been looking for the post from @MultiTech that explains this but I haven't found it. I would be curious to see since I'm thinking about making a PublisherPro app and having users [insecurely] "sign-in". 

I found this post from @MultiTech but it's written for User Sign-in Required. He does say "While there is another way to accomplish this, requiring someone to sign in is the simplest of them all."

I'm curious what the other way to accomplish it is!

Any tips / pointers to the right post? 

Thanks,

Billy

Context is that I’d like to make an app just for my extended family (50-100 users) to use.

Nothing sensitive, but I can’t justify that cost for Core. I could probably swing the publisher pro cost though.

I actually just went over a little of this in last Friday's live stream

Thanks @MultiTech! Cool stream! I'm going to watch some more! 

I guess just to double confirm: this mechanism prevents users from seeing each other's data -- but it's not "secure" - theoretically anyone with the app can "hack"/pull the whole database from the device because it's not a secured version of the app. Is that correct?

So in your app example (which is awesome btw), anyone with access to the app could pull any phone number that had been entered to identify a user? 

Thanks again - really cool. 

Billy

@1billyfw wrote:

I guess just to double confirm: this mechanism prevents users from seeing each other's data -- but it's not "secure"

• Yes

@1billyfw wrote:

theoretically anyone with the app can "hack"/pull the whole database from the device because it's not a secured version of the app. Is that correct?

• They wouldn't be able to pull the database from the app
      - I've yet to see anyone accomplish this level of hack
  • But they COULD, if they knew enough about the AppSheet platform, get themselves to a root view of any table
       - So depending on what's available for people to do, and how restrictive you've made things for "editability", people might be able to do a lot or a little - all depends on how you've built things out

@1billyfw wrote:

So in your app example (which is awesome btw), anyone with access to the app could pull any phone number that had been entered to identify a user? 

• Yes
      - This is why you wouldn't want to really go this route

• The system IS designed to be "secure" - in a way
    • A device must be approved by the original owner of the phone number trying to be accessed, and that can only be accomplished from an already approved device
      • And since a random device doesn't have permission to make any edits to anything, they can't add their device ID into the mix - and so they can't gain access

But if you knew enough, you get information out of a system like this to pose a security problem - depending on what sort of data you have inside the system.

@1billyfw wrote:

I would be curious to see since I'm thinking about making a PublisherPro app and having users [insecurely] "sign-in". 

I don't understand why there is a wave of users wanting to go against ToS

I don't, and first learned about that from MV's stream. 

But, if it helps to understand, I can't afford to personally make an app for my extended family and pay $10/mo for each. There is no individual (non-business) payment option, and so I was exploring other possibilities, since I'd love to use Appsheet if I can. 

I can't either so I just don't do it

SkrOYC - In my head (right or wrong), it was OK to try to find a way to use a paid version of Appsheet within technical limits if the alternative was genuinely to find/get excited about something else. I was also unaware of the ToSs. 

If my question was at all offensive, I apologize. This community has been nothing but supportive and great and I don’t want to do anything that makes the community feel unwelcome or like I'm taking advantage, so thanks again for all the help and appreciate the perspective. I'll stick with enterprise options for Appsheet and work on other solutions for non-commercial/enterprise stuff.

@SkrOYC wrote:

I don't understand why there is a wave of users wanting to go against ToS

There have always been a subset of AppSheet users trying this

• Typically they've got an idea for an app that needs secure access, so they can appropriately filter things or capture sensitive info, but they don't want to pay $5 for each user

The more I think about the cost of AppSheet, the more I think that's expensive...

Then I remember the capabilities of it... and remember that's it's just not a tool for anyone, it's a tool for a company wanting to really level-up their game

Top Labels in this Space