Send notifications to the certain users when field in a record is updated.

I want to be able to send notifications to the users of the app.

There is a lessons table and there is a field with link, when lesson record is created later lesson link will be added to the record to the lesson link field. 

Also  there is a student table that is related to the lesson table through the access table to create many to many relation so that each lesson could have multiple students.

So each time I add lesson link to the lesson record I want my app send notification to the students assigned to the lesson.

Please help to understand how to create it.

Thank you in advance.

Solved Solved
1 3 725
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

1. Please create a data change event bot on the Lessons table. The condition of this bot should be 

AND([_THISROW_BEFORE].[Lesson LINK Field] <> [_THISROW_AFTER].[Lesson LINK Field], ISNOTBLANK([_THISROW_AFTER].[Lesson LINK Field]))

This condition ensures the bot fires only when the lessons link is added or changed. Please make the bot to run suitably on record add or record updated.

Notifications 1.png

2.  In the step for the notification, in the To Field please add an expression something like [Related Students][Student Email] where [Related Students] is the reverse reference column in the Lessons table. [Student Email] is email of each student from the Students table.

Notifications 2.png

3. Please add suitable message and Deep =link as required in the notification bot step.

In the screenshots above "Order" table is mentioned. You need to place "Lessons" table in its place.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

1. Please create a data change event bot on the Lessons table. The condition of this bot should be 

AND([_THISROW_BEFORE].[Lesson LINK Field] <> [_THISROW_AFTER].[Lesson LINK Field], ISNOTBLANK([_THISROW_AFTER].[Lesson LINK Field]))

This condition ensures the bot fires only when the lessons link is added or changed. Please make the bot to run suitably on record add or record updated.

Notifications 1.png

2.  In the step for the notification, in the To Field please add an expression something like [Related Students][Student Email] where [Related Students] is the reverse reference column in the Lessons table. [Student Email] is email of each student from the Students table.

Notifications 2.png

3. Please add suitable message and Deep =link as required in the notification bot step.

In the screenshots above "Order" table is mentioned. You need to place "Lessons" table in its place.

Thank you for such detailed explanation, but could you please help with the get student emails expression as well.

I did like this, but it does not work.: 

select(
Access[Member Email],
[id_block] = [_THISROW].[id_block]
)

The table structure is. "Lectures blocks” table related to lectures in “Lectures list” table, so each Lecture block consist of many lectures . "Lectures list" table has "lecture link” field.   “Lectures blocks” table related to “Access” table, so each Lecture block has “many” students.

Screenshot 2022-09-28 at 00.20.01.png

You may find something in this video helpful  (^_^)

Sending Individual Emails.png

• FYI: this is but one way to make this work.  Looks like you've already gotten a solution in place, just adding here for other options is all.

Best thing about the AppSheet platform:

Always another way (matrix) - reduced.gif

Top Labels in this Space