Signature: Save externally

3X_2_c_2c1f2e73b934a0dbc31a44b96cadd8a3b016e14c.png
What does โ€œSave externallyโ€ in a Signature column type mean?

0 9 531
9 REPLIES 9

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I would guess it means save a copy to the userโ€™s device as well?

Yes I think this was the case once. But in my testing this is (no more) the case.

@Steve_Howard Am i right with this?

• In a signature column it doesnโ€™t matter if โ€œSave externallyโ€ is enabled or disabled.
  • The only images that are saved as a copy to the userโ€™s device are from an image column and when you capture an image in a drawing column.

Can I disable the โ€œsave a copy to the userโ€™s deviceโ€?
Can we get the Base64 from an image?

Some valid queries from @Fabian. Request @Steve_Howard to guide.

Former Community Member
Not applicable

To the first question, yes, this setting doesnโ€™t matter. As far as I can tell it used to do something, and now it doesnโ€™t.

I donโ€™t have a ton of context on how saving copies to the userโ€™s device works. Thereโ€™s currently not a way to get base64.

I think this will not be possible, because AppSheet uses the deviceโ€™s Camera App. So when you capture an image with AppSheet, in fact you capture it with the deviceโ€™s Camera App. Thatโ€™s why the image is saved to the device as well.

Former Community Member
Not applicable

It looks like this is a vestigial setting that is effectively always true now. This refers to the behavior of saving images to your data source (as opposed to directly in the sheet as base64).

@lizlynch, it would be helpful to explain this property in relevant documentation (or, even better, suppress it in the UI). In trying to understand how to use the property, it took me a while only to ultimately find out there's nothing to know.

I started with Capture signatures and drawings - AppSheet Help, where it's not mentioned in the text but is mentioned (but explained seemingly erroneously) in the Content column types video. I also reviewed other articles, including Configure column properties - AppSheet Help, where it's not mentioned at all. I then came to the community, where I read through this entire thread to find Steve_Howard's explanation at the end that the property is actually just superfluous altogether and apparently should simply be ignored.

dbaum_0-1681266164170.png

@dbaum - Thank you for this clear description. I agree it should be suppressed if it serves no function. I'll raise this to the team (and likely add a note to the documentation for the short term).

@dbaum  and other folks on this thread -- I've update the Capture signatures and drawings article to note that the Save externally property has no effect on the your app. 

As a separate effort, I'm working on documenting the "Type details" properties for ALL of the column types. Stay tuned for that.

Top Labels in this Space