Valid If - What formula to use to only allow unique values

We want to restrict the ability to add a value in a field, if that value is already in the field.
i.e. we want to replicate the way Appsheet will restrict duplicate values in a โ€œkeyโ€ field

But, we use a different โ€œkey fieldโ€.
I tried making this other field also a"key", but after saving it was deselected. So appears can only have 1 key.

I know IF and COUNT should be able to be used, but not sure how toโ€ฆ

Thanks!

Solved Solved
3 10 6,005
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Tom_Graham,

If I have correctly understood your requirement ,could you try following expression in your SKU fieldโ€™s valid_if expression

NOT(IN([_THIS], SELECT(Inventory Data[SKU], NOT(IN([Custom Label], LIST([_THISROW].[Custom Label]))))))

The above expression assumes that [Custom Label] is key field and ]SKU]is the non key field that you do not wish to be duplicated.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hi @Tom_Graham,

Please explore if the approach described in the section " Preventing Duplicate Field Values" in the following article helps you

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/961274-list-expressions-and-aggregates

thanks @Suvrutt_Gurjar

• I can use that type of formula to create the correct Valid condition for the SKU field
  • but, doing so causes the Key to change to the โ€œComputed Keyโ€
  • the Key field previously was โ€˜Custom Labelโ€™
  • therefore now โ€œCustom Labelโ€ is not restricted from having duplicates
  • also, I want to keep โ€œCustom Labelโ€ as the Key value, as there is likely other parts of the app that relay on this being the Key.

Is it possible to achieve without creating and using a Computed Key?

i.e. โ€œCustom Labelโ€ and โ€œSKUโ€ both must contain โ€˜unique valuesโ€™. And we want โ€œCustom Labelโ€ remain as the Key. How can we restrict SKU from accepting duplicates?

Thanks!

example of current formula inside the Valid IF field for โ€œSKUโ€ field:

NOT(IN([_THIS], SELECT(Inventory Data[SKU], NOT(IN([SKU], LIST([_THISROW].[Custom Label]))))))

Hi @Tom_Graham,

If I have correctly understood your requirement ,could you try following expression in your SKU fieldโ€™s valid_if expression

NOT(IN([_THIS], SELECT(Inventory Data[SKU], NOT(IN([Custom Label], LIST([_THISROW].[Custom Label]))))))

The above expression assumes that [Custom Label] is key field and ]SKU]is the non key field that you do not wish to be duplicated.

thanks - works perfectly now - thanks!

I am attempting to use this code to accomplish the same thing. Unfortunately, Iโ€™ve found an unwanted side effect is that it wonโ€™t allow you to return to a record and edit it because it looks back at โ€œitselfโ€ and says itโ€™s a duplicate. Is there a solution to that problem? Here is my exact code:

NOT(IN([_THIS], SELECT(Level 3[Employee Number], NOT(IN([Employee Number], LIST([_THISROW].[Audit ID]))))))

Try:

ISBLANK(
  FILTER(
    "Level 3",
    AND(
      ([_ROWNUMBER] <> [_THISROW].[_ROWNUMBER]),
      ([Employee Number] <> [_THISROW].[Audit ID]),
      ([Employee Number] = [_THIS])
    )
  )
)

Essentially: FILTER() finds all rows in the Level 3 table with a matching Employee Number, excluding rows where the rowโ€™s Employee Number matches the Audit ID column value of this row, and excluding this row itself. If FILTER() returns anything after those exclusions, youโ€™ve got a duplicate value.

Just curious (and may not matter), but if the Audit ID and Employee Number are never equivalent (the Audit ID is a randomly generated alphanumeric string), is the second boolean test: ([Employee Number] <> [_THISROW].[Audit ID]) necessary?

Thatโ€™s your call. You had it in your expression so I preserved it.

Dear All,

I have a table named "Import Waybill" with the below mentioned coloumns

Way Bill ID = (Unique ID) as the Key

Way Bill Date = Date

Way Bill No = Text

Truck Number Plate = Text

Waybill PK = Text with the app formula as      =   text([Waybill Date],"DD-MMM-YY")&"-"&[Waybill No]&"-"&[Truck Number Plate]

I wish to avoid entry of duplicate records which are of the same date, having the same way bill no and same truck plate number. 

I tried using the the below mentioned formula in the coloumn Waybill PK

Valid If = NOT(IN([_ThisRow].[Waybill PK],SELECT(IMPORT WAYBILL[Waybill PK],[Waybill PK] <> [_ThisRow].[Waybill PK]))) 

and 

NOT(IN([_This],SELECT(IMPORT WAYBILL[Waybill PK],[Waybill PK] <> [_ThisRow].[Waybill PK])))

Both did not work. Pls suggest if you have any better solution on the same.

Thanks all, I have figured out the solution for my query in the previous post.

AND(([Waybill Date]<>[_THISROW].[Waybill Date]),([Waybill No]<>[_THISROW].[Waybill No]),([Truck Number Plate]<>[_THISROW].[Truck Number Plate]))

Top Labels in this Space