get xy coordinates from a field that contains an address - chatgpt offers me a solution

but is doesnt work ... is it possible in appsheet to become xy coordinates from an address ?

chat gpt offered me a formulae to write in virtual field

CONCATENATE("https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?address=", ENCODEURL([lat]), "&key=", "my-google-apikey-npemLRn-FGsrO6")

0 4 470
4 REPLIES 4

@Chris_Onz wrote:

is it possible in appsheet to become xy coordinates from an address

Personally, I don't know of any reliable solution for this

I've never used Google Maps API for this purpose but have used Open Street Map to convert an address to a lat long. However, the output of either service is going to be JSON and will need to be parsed in some way to extract the lat long portion. I don't think this would be possible directly in AppSheet.

There is no direct way to make this happen, but there are some workarounds that you can do to make it work.

The primary difficulty you're facing is a matter of relativity; not in the scientific sense, but in the sense of we need to know how lat long values correspond to what you're trying to do.

What you could do is you get establish a box of lat long points, and this would give you the ability to then do some math to figure out where any internal points would be in conjunction to the outer limits. From this you could then do some more math and create a corresponding XY coordinate value for that.

Very messy...... What is it you're trying to actually do?

pardon my english, try to explain properly ๐Ÿ˜‰

want to put interesting places on map of the word, in my form I have 2 fields

- a (xy) field I use to manually put a pin a on a map by placing it

- a (address) I use to add manually enter a address when I don't know the exact location on the map. When used I noticed that appsheet do a recommendation if the address is partly entered

so in both ways i want to find the address when I added a pin on the map, otherwise if I pinned some place, I want to retrieve the address.

I did find a workaround in my spreadsheet excel to calculate the entered address to a xy coordinates, ... I just wondered if I could do this directly in appsheet

hope I explained it enough.

kind regards

Top Labels in this Space